autodesk project falcon

Discussion in 'Software' started by yipster, Oct 16, 2012.

1. yipster

yipster designer

for some time now autodesk project falcon comes standalone
    with autodesk ID its free, 3D models like cars and a airplane included
    falcon imports 3D and 2D formats, analises drag but no lift and hydro
    it's easy to play with but basic yet may keep you awake for hours..

1 person likes this.
  2. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Hi Yipster, I posted something similar here:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/de...-standalone-new-release-44562.html#post578439

No responses yet.
    I'm attaching here a cup of files, so anyone can check for validation using different CFD softwares:
    - A piece of inox shroud D=5mm , L=300mm , 1x19
    - A piece of plastic cobertor Dmin=6mm , L=300mm with aerofoil shape (Naca 65-015) (in order to cover that shroud and improve Cd).

After half an hour of full 3D analysis at 15 m/s and 150% resolution, Project Falcon yields:
    1x19 shroud: Cd=1.32 , Fd=0.26 (Newton)
    cobertor: Cd=1.05 , Fd=0.27 (Newton)

(by the way, very good music on that video!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. yipster

yipster designer

hi quequen, missed your thread early'r this year and double posted -sorry- going shopping with girlfrend now
    but will download and compare later! from what i've read and try'd so far it should be fairly accurate
    think their big cfd looks alike and has more options but dont dear checking a price.

4. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

5. yipster

yipster designer

quequen, compared perpendicular your cable with the bit bigger cover at 1 and 10 m/s
    put speed on 20% but havent figgered that one, as the timeline? and spikes in the graph out yet
    didnt visit falcons forum yet and perhaps we can study this cfd prog here a bit too?
    should have taken 15 m/s i see now but bigger cable cover shows more drag here but why lower as your figgers?
    edit: resolution was another one i didnt understand, now checkin its setting the voxel, a portmanteau (or mix word of picture and element)
    replacing in 3d the 2d term pixel and by going to a higher resolution we get better yet slower results, you could have said that ;-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel
    spikes probably coursed by to slow a draft and looked again but even at 15m/s i dont get much higher drag, but i'm still learning..
    http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Project-Falcon/This-Must-Be-The-Place-Native-Melody/td-p/3643500

Attached Files:

6. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Yipster, for sure we are using some different parameters. Unfortunately, Falcon don't allows us to save files for share.
    I wish someone could analyze this objects using some other (more professional) CFD to compare.

7. yipster

yipster designer

quequen sorry, think your rite; my second try shows lower drag with wider corbetor
    my old pc took 4x10 min on resolution 150 with 15,053m/s and second figgers 9.93 m/s
    cable: Cd 0.52 average Cd 0.57 Fd 0.119 N and Cd 0.55 average Cd 0.53 Fd 0.055 N
    cobertor: Cd 0.40 average Cd 0.37 Fd 0.124 N and Cd 0.43 average Cd 0.39 Fd 0.057 N
    noticed the cable not completely covered, my wrong and didnt reproduce my first results
    will post some questions on the falcon forum soon as i want to come to grips, a manual?
    something else i dont understand is how a corbertor points for min drag, on a rod?

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.