Scantling Spreadsheets

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, May 10, 2005.

1. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

The good and the bad thing with the internet, there is plenty of information around but when you find it, you don’t know if it is still relevant. BoatDesign is by far the best :)

ISO 12215 is a new standard, hope they haven’t made any mistakes, it is probably a good idea to compare with ABS in this area and increase to the level of that one if it is higher then, they didn’t change without reason. Or, do you know if anyone already has done that?

I’m posting a bit in the Big Mac 65 thread, want to have a look?

Thanks Soren
    Mikey

2. Joe Lu

Joe Lu Junior Member

Rudder stock dameter design

Hi,everybody,
    anybody have the spreadsheet for rudder stock diameter of CE?
    I found the documents ISO 12215-8, but it's an ISO standard yet?
    how could I do to get the CE marking? use another ABS/LR/BV... rule?
    or, just use ISO 12215-8 ?

thanx for answer.
    JoeLu

3. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

Hi, I'm new to frp scantlings calculations, I've always had to deal with steel structures. I downloaded the spreadsheet, but I guess there's something missing, for example how to determine the stiffeners' spacing?
    Have you got the ISO rule, even if it's still not approved? if so, could I take a look? :)

4. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

The spacing of the stiffeners is not determined by the standard, but by you. If you're in doubt, check out similar yachts to the one you're working on, or get a copy of The Elements of Boat Strength by Dave Gerr.

A copy of the latest version of the ISO Standard can be downloaded here:
    http://www.nmma.org/certification/technical/technicalupdates/index.asp?bhcp=1

5. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

You're welcome!
    I agree on everything you said.
    And I do follow the Big Mac thread (and thank the Lord that he, whose name shall not be mentioned here only sails a Mac26 ;) )

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.