Scantling rules for stitch & tape

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Baycat, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Baycat

Baycat Ric

I am looking at Stitch & tape technique for a new design of approx 24-26 feet was wondering if there was a book that provided 'scantling' sizes for this
    ( for example does Dave Gerrs - (westlawn) book provide this ) this seemed a better way to go than emperically applying the thicknesses from someone elses plans. I am not an engineer so would need information in a form that suits the layman.

Is there a previous thread or can somebody help thanks.

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Baycat,

I don't believe the scantlings will be very different using the "stitch and glue"-methode or an other contruction methode, provided all methodes are using the same construction material.
    For this lenght of vessel there is also not really a "rule" or formula to calculate the construction, look for similar designs of the same construction material over a range of lenghts. Based on that you can make a good assesment of the scantlings you need.

Good luck.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Dave Gerr's book has that info.

4. Baycat

Baycat Ric

Thanks Gonzo - now just to get a copy here in Australia - snail mail thru the local book retailers I guess, not quite ready to enrol in the course yet, or do I need to enrol to make sense of the book? I do have a degree in architecture but there's not much engineering in that.

Thanks Dutch Peter I did look at the option of purchasing say an Arch Davis or Bateau design of a similiar sized boat and using those principles in the new design but it seemed a bit like guessing to me

thanks again

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The scantling rules are very straightforward. You enter the dimension of the boat and it gives a scantling number. You then enter this number for the dimension of every part of the boat.

6. Baycat

Baycat Ric

Gonzo - thanks again

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.