Scantling determination - Is there a spreadsheet for sail yacht calculations (ABC)?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by chr_ramsdal, Apr 26, 2015.

1. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

DIY Projects are excluded so they may comply whatever they choose to (or not)
    BR Teddy

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Teddy, as far as I know, the ISO 12215-5 standard states that it applies to boats with a hull length of between 2.5 m and 24 m. Nowhere in that standard I could I see she relates, or exclude, Do-It-Yourself crafts. If I'm wrong, I'd love you to help me out of it.
    BR Ignacio

3. chr_ramsdal

chr_ramsdal Junior Member

OK, I see. Thanks for good advice.

I´ll seek to make the structure and hull thickness in compliance with ISO/Veritas (I´m from Norway). Anyway, what I am doing is designing a new yacht, not testing an existing design. Therefore I need some tool or rules of thumb or to tell me things like:

-How many frames/bulkheads should there be? (i.e. 2 or 15?!) It seems like other yacht manufacturers uses around 10-12 for yachts of the same size.

-How thick should the shell be, (for a category A or B yacht) before adding reinforcements on the most loaded places?

-How many stringers should I use?

..and so on

I am planning to use single skin GRP. Maybe what I need is some some reference points. I can gather info about other yachts, use the same setup and then calculate if it is sufficient, but isn´t that a very "backwards" way to do things?? What is the most common practice for "ordinary" sailyachts under 50ft?

As you may have noticed I am a novice trying to sort these things out :p

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

My two cents worth:

A compliance to ISO 12215-5 is a necessary condition of the CE certification of the vessel in the EU. And the CE mark is a mandatory prerequisite for the commercialization of the vessel. So, if the boat is made for the commercialization in the EU, the compliance to the ISO standards is required.
    But, if one builds a boat without intention of selling it, then it is not necessary to have it CE marked. In this case the boat cannot be sold for at least 5 years after the build.

Then there is the issue of mandatory compliance to the ISO standards. As far as I know, it is regulated at the national level.

In Italy, for example, pleasure boats <10 m length are not required to be registered at the Coast Guard registry of pleasure vessels - hence they can be used with no further requirements. As such, they don't have to be ISO or Class compliant, but can navigate only within 6 miles from the coast.
    If the <10m boat has to navigate within 12 miles, then it needs a navigation licence, which is issued by a CE or Class inspector upon the acceptance test.
    On the other hand, pleasure boats above 10 meters length (be it DiY or commercially built ones) have to be registered at the Coast Guard registry, which in turn requires a certificate of compliance (to technical regulations). So the ISO or Class compliance is required.

We like to keep things simple...

Cheers

5. chr_ramsdal

chr_ramsdal Junior Member

I may have found something usefull, here:

http://isotctest.iso.org/livelink/l...8995/NAVIGATION.pdf?nodeid=11761273&vernum=-2

"SELF-CERTIFIER-12215-5 is an easy to use Excel based software application for Boatbuilders with limited time and expertise to conduct their own scantling calculations."
    :D

I haven´t got to test it yet. It seem you have to buy the ISO standard to get it, and I don´t have a PC available at the time.. Has anyone tried this application?

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You are going to need the ISO standard in any case. So, buy the standard and see for yourself if ICOMIA software solves your problem.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.