Scantling determination - Is there a spreadsheet for sail yacht calculations (ABC)?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by chr_ramsdal, Apr 26, 2015.

1. chr_ramsdal

chr_ramsdal Junior Member

This would be very convenient as I am about to start on determining the required hull thickness and scantling dimensions for my fast 46 cruiser.

Anyone? :)

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Have a look, if you think it should, on my software SCT (recreational boats ISO 12215). You can download it from my website. Not a worksheet because it has features that do not fit into a spreadsheet. If you decide to use it, I could help in using the program.

3. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

>Is there a spreadsheet for sail yacht calculations (ABC)?<

What does ABC means. Is this ABYC?

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Or ABS?

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

In any case, that boat, in Europe, should comply with ISO 12215. Any other regulation will penalize the boat.

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

For yachts under 24 meters, all classification societies now refer to ISO 12215 rules. So you will have to use those.

7. rxcomposite

Or LR SSC rules for motor, sailing, and auxillary craft.

8. chr_ramsdal

Sorry, I meant ABS. I have read that NBS (Nordic Boat Standard) is good to use because it takes the rig into consideration. Any thoughts on that? I just want to make it as simple as possible, and in compliance with ISO 12215 (which it seems all standards now seems to comply with?).

I´ve found a nice example on how to make these types of calculations in the book "Principles of yacht design" by Larsson, Eliasson and Orych. I´m thinking about putting these formulas into a spreadsheet for simplification.:cool:

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Current regulations require certain checks for fiber hulls, not included in the formulas of that book. Therefore I will not recommend its use. In any case, if you want to get the "CE" marking for your boat, it is best that you use the ISO standard.

10. chr_ramsdal

OK, thanks for your advice, and for informing about your software TANSL. I´ll have a look at it.

11. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Just for your info, RX:
    SSC does not apply to yachts with L<= 24m. Here is an excerpt from the page 90 of the LR SSC pdf file - scope of the rules:
    SSC scope.gif
    As said before, all the classification societies now point to ISO standards in case of pleasure boats below 24 meters length.

Cheers!

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Don't misunderstand me, please. You do not need at all my software. Just you need to get a copy of the ISO 12215-5 and follow their procedures.

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

D

LR SSC rules does not apply to ANY vessel below 24m. BUT...you can still use them if you ask, since they will then review the results of the scantlings a on a case by case basis. Yacht, Workboat or otherwise.

And any Flag state will have, or should, in their rules, Structure/Mech etc to be Class (or otherwise) complaint. Thus one can still elect to use SSC rules for a vessel below 24m, just means the scantlings may, or may not, be over what one would expect. Since below 24m sometimes leads to erroneous results.

14. rxcomposite

Daiquiri,

My LR SSC rule says ..."motor, sailing and auxiliary craft..... not exceeding a length of 150 meters" Part 3 Chapter 1

There was a discussion before on this ISO registration, if I remember correctly, If the vessel was built to Class, or built to class standard, the documentations will suffice/be accepted in lieu of ISO documentation.

Depends on the flag state.

Attached Files:

15. rxcomposite

ramsdal- The only software I have encountered that is in accordance with ABS standard is Autoship and it is for steel SHIPS (greater than 24m).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.