cross galvanic corrosion?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Cmw505, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Cmw505

Cmw505 Junior Member

So just a quick question..if two different hulls in the same marine close to each other let's say one made of alumnium and the other steel what exactly stops these hulls from interacting with each other so close by? thanks

2. Heimfried

Heimfried Senior Member

To build up a galvanic current circuit there must be a electroconductive link between the hulls (a second link besides the water). This can happen indirectly if both boats are connected to onshore grid ground. To prevent this the market offers galvanic separators.

3. Cmw505

Cmw505 Junior Member

thanks heimfried

4. JSL

JSL Senior Member

I thinks these are same as isolation transformers

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

An isolating transformer without the earth connected thru would do it but it's a heavy expensive option .
    Galvanic isolators are installed in the Earth line only and interrupt continuous dc currents while still passing AC fault currents. They are a much more sensible solution.

6. Cmw505

Cmw505 Junior Member

i was just curious cause as i'm studying boat design and hulls,and materials etc. i started to learn about sacrificial anodes and it got me thinking with boats so close together in the marina how on earth do they not interact assuming that there moored to the dock?. but heimfried just explained that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.