good or bad boat? steel hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Razgo, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Razgo

Razgo Junior Member

I am doing some research before I physically go and look and ask questions about a 28 ft steel cruiser i am looking at purchasing.

I don't know anything other than what the advert said and pics so far. my reasoning for taking on a project like this is so i can custom fit out the boat the way I want to help suit my wifes disability. and i want to just cruise the rivers with the odd moreton bay trip to the islands.

Other than asking the owner if the motor works and checking to see if there are any rust holes i am not sure what else to consider and look out for?
    thanks

STEEL MOTOR CRUISER 28FT
    Unfinished restoration, V6 Detroit motor,
    lots of extra equipment, ALL materials to finish $9,990ono

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

3. Razgo

Razgo Junior Member

Hi Pericles, thanks for the links.

Yes I agree its a resurrection! I had to laugh when the ad said unfinished project which was an understatement :)

I was thinking of offering maybe 3K but until i actually see it and see what comes with it I will have to wait and see.

I am only about 3 or 4 KM's from where it is. I don't have a trailer so i have to consider that also. Probably just hire one to bring it to my place or see if this guy has one i can use or get him to deliver it like you say.

Can anyone Identify the boat? like what year it might be or the maker? Does the design look ok?

My way of thinking is, if my wife is in a wheelchair on-board that this sort of boat should be a lot stable in the water compared to fiberglass or Aluminum.

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

No, stability is about hull shape, not weight. A catamaran would be favourite, but a good read of those links will give you a much better idea of what is available. Steel rusts, so I hope you can weld. :D :D

There was a programme on cable TV in the UK about a couple who purchased a steel dumb barge on which they planned to build a house boat. They completed the task 18 months late and £100 000 over budget, but they were rich enough to shrug off the loss and they did have a super place to live on the River Thames in Chelsea. However the hull cost £30K and the replating another £25K. Why? A new hull would have been £35K if they'd asked around.

Research your dream and get on the water quicker. Time & tide wait for no man etc.

Bon voyage,

Pericles

5. Razgo

Razgo Junior Member

I thought the combination of steel and hull shape would make it more stable. Thats the impression i got after reading threads on steel vs aluminum. A catamaran would not be suitable.

The hull shape in the photos looks like it would be quite stable to me but i could be wrong.

To purchase something finished here like the above cruiser would be 30K plus at the very cheapest.

like this one here would be an acception and not common http://www.tradingpost.com.au/AdDetails/AdDetails.aspx?adnumber=WB2593167144

6. Razgo

Razgo Junior Member

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Razgo,

You'll have the opportunity to test stability when to take it out for a test drive.:D Remember that boats are like buses, you wait for ages and then three arrive at once.

Interlux have some attractive colours for you both to consider. The colour card is on the hotlinks list.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

Good luck,

Pericles

8. Razgo

Razgo Junior Member

well a friend of mine will go halves in it with me as a project to get it into the water ASAP (once i have inspected it properly first). We are selling a piver 36' first to raise some funds. I am guessing this paint brand is available here in Australia too?

9. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

10. Razgo

Razgo Junior Member

Sorry, yes i meant the clunker. the floater was sold when i inquired about it :(. I was looking forward to a possible 200K trip to bring it home.

I figure if it all goes horribly wrong i can just push it out my driveway on to the busy road in front of my place at midnight and pretend i don't know anything about it :)

Thanks for the links. I found my closest retailer http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_home.asp
    Hopefuly they are all good people to deal with.

11. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

12. Razgo

Razgo Junior Member

13. Gerald

Gerald Junior Member

The boat pictures you posted are pretty straight forward. A steel hull with a wooden cabin slapped on the top. Don't know how thick the hull plate is but my guess is that boat probably weighs about the same as a similar sized glass boat. I bought a 42 foot steel boat for next to nothing in Florida and had it shipped down here. The boat had a few problems and after sandblasting I fit some new hull plates. Not a big deal. The boat was on the hard for six months and has performed well since it went back in the water. Was well worth the investment. I also have a 40 foot steel sailboat in my shop that I started from scratch. The four years invested in the new boat has not proven to be the best option, so far as I am concerned. Completing a 25 foot steel boat with a couple of experienced guys is more than a few weekends of hard work. Assume you have all the skills required to build the boat, the shop with all the tools and two experienced builders that have done it before. You are looking at many hours rounding up stuff and then many hours putting it all together.
    If the owner of the boat allows you to tap around on it with a chipping hammer you will find out if there are any areas ready to break thru. Sand blasting would then be a real good thing to do. I have a flame spray gun and instead of painting the inside I spray hot zinc. The external hull gets international epoxy. The flame spray is much cheaper, per square meter, than paint.
    There is nothing like having a boat in the water and one on the drawing board. It just isn't the same as having a drawer full of plans and a head full of dreams.
    Good luck.
    Gerald

14. Razgo

Razgo Junior Member

Yes it is true it would probably take me too long to fix it up and become a pain more than anything in the end. after seeing some boats similar to what i want for 25K i would achieve a better result buy buying a complete boat with inspection certificate.

I don't have a lot of experience in this area but my friend has. so time for a re think :) and as they saying goes life is too short sometimes and i am not getting any younger at 45!

15. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Razgo,

The DE25 can dry out, whereas the TW28 has a deep keel, but I agree, she's a looker. Search the Bateau forum for all the threads. A TW34 is being designed.

Choices, choices. :D :D

Pericles

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.