Rebuild - 18' Skiboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JenInCO, Sep 9, 2009.

1. JenInCO

JenInCO New Member

Hello all,
    I have a 1984 18' Baja I/O. It was a gift, need to hang onto it. I'm looking for an individual or company in Colorado who can do an interior rebuild. Looking to replace seats, add a stereo, cooler, swim deck, etc. My husband will re-fiberglass the hull but would like to update the interior of the boat for another 10 years of life (motor still runs great.) I've looked on this site and googled everything I can think of but I'm striking out. Would appreciate any suggestions or advice for finding someone who can do this for us in Colorado as we don't have time to do it ourselves.
    Thanks.
    JenInCO

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Jen,

First put up some pictures so the rest of us can see what you're up to.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm not sure what you mean by "re-fiberglass the hull" but I would recommend you consider different options.

A quarter century old boat, particularly from this era, will have specific issues. Along with a new set of seats, side bolsters and freshening up the interior, you'll very likely need the transom, sole and possibly the stringers repaired or replaced, blister and gel coat repair, maybe a full up paint job. This is a huge project for a boat of limited value.

My recommendation is sell the boat for what you can and take that money, plus what you'd put into the interior and buy a boat without the needs this one has.

In other words, having a new interior put in this boat professionally, even just a "freshened" up one, will probably cost more then the boat is worth.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.