Wooden Keel

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Hannibal, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal New Member

Hi there : I am a novice (fool) boatbuilder 18 months into restoring a Princess 32' type GRP hull. Beneath the water line the exterior is largely pristine gelcoat (never been in the water) but the boat has a hardwood wooden keel!? I am looking for advice on how to finish the keel. Paint it? Treat it? Fibreglass it? Any advice gratefully received. (I've just uploaded a photo to the project gallery). Many thanks!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm not familiar with your particular boat, but if you have the option, which it would appear, then coat the crap out of the exposed wooden elements before they get contaminated with whatever is floating about the bilge. At least three coats of neat epoxy, then paint as desired.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal New Member

Many thanks for the advice - much appreciated. (BTW, here's a pic as she stands [​IMG].