Savitsky Powering 1964

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by aww198, Nov 10, 2007.

1. aww198

aww198 New Member

I'm trying to write a quick excel spreadsheet to work out powering and porpoising from Savitsky's 1964 paper and I've encountered a couple of problems - can anyone point out where I am going wrong?

1) Working logically through 'Table 1' 'Computational Procedure Hydrodynamic Performance of Prismatic Planing Hull' I have got down as far as row 10 on the table and agree with all the numbers. However when calculating the formula in 10 for Df I am not getting anything like the stated 7.340. I don't know if its because I am not using the correct value for p, or if I'm simply messing up the calculation or if there is a term missing in the formula. Any one have any ideas for me?

2) For the porpoising calc I've created a spreadsheet for it and it all works given the inputs that are in the example in the paper, however when I input my boat particulars I'm getting a value for SQRT Cl/2 of less than 0.1, which is off the Savitsky porpoising limit graph. Is this a common occurance for light weight boats <~10 tonnes??

Thanks

2. smartbight

smartbight Naval Architect

Try this. Let us know how it compares with your calcs.

Attached Files:

3. aww198

aww198 New Member

Thanks for that. Still wading through the spreadsheet - will let you know though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.