Using FreeShip

Discussion in 'Software' started by pairomedicsfish, May 13, 2006.

1. pairomedicsfish

pairomedicsfish Junior Member

I just downloaded freeShip. I love the program and have a skiff design in the works. Once the layout is done, then what? Can this program be used to pattern forms? I want to go from design in freeship to a male plug, to pull a mold.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You can create any number of sections in freeship, at any spacing. If you create sections where you want the frames of your plug to go, you can then export these to a cutter, or plot them (full scale, if you want to). Tracing them onto plywood, then subtracting the thickness of the plug material, would give you the outlines of the frames for the plug.

3. pairomedicsfish

Ok, where is that function on the program? I cannot seem to find it. I have checked the developability of the skiff and as I figured, it cannot be constructed of plates. There are many "free" curves, mostly to emilinate hull slap. I want to station out the model and create a plug. Once I have the stations on the stongback, i strip it out like cold molding, then fair my plug.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Calculations menu, choose Intersections. You can specify stations and spacing here. Descriptions of the controls will pop up if you hover the cursor over the buttons for a second.
    If you're having the frames CNC cut, you can adjust the view to show only the station curves, make sure they're what you want, then export a DXF. Or you can export offsets and loft them to plywood by hand.

5. pairomedicsfish

Ok, so I selected all 17 stations, I clicked the green check, how do I view them or export the numbers to loft them? Sorry about the stupid questions, I just exited that I have found this program and want to get going on the plug. wait, I spoke too son, I found the offsets, but I am too stupid to use them. Is ther a way to create paterns from these or other information withion the program?

6. CGN

CGN Senior Member

You can export to DXF all your sections and use ProgeCAD (is a free Download) setup the file and plot to scale your sections, so you can loft from a printed drawing using a scale or just use ProgeCAD to read the dimensions of each of the sections.

7. pairomedicsfish

I downloaded progeCAD and exported the stations to the program, but they will nit open indivdually. I guess I gotta go back to scool. Is ther a way to take the station files to a shop and have them cut the patterns?

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Yes. All CNC-capable shops can handle DXF format files. If you simply want someone to cut them for you, you can just give a DXF of the sections to the shop, along with a bit of money.

9. pairomedicsfish

Sounds good, now to find a shop. I will want the sections cut out of plywood. There will be 17 stations each approximatly 2.5' X 3.5'. Wonder how much that'll cost me? Thanks for the replies. I am VERY new here, I just found you guys and plan on spending a bunch of time here....Kev

10. APP

APP Junior Member

Hi

In Freeship: Created the sections (where I want the frames), how can I export them...?
    Can you give the sequence of what to click?
    Thanks
    APP

11. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

go to file/export/offsets. This will give you the offsets for each section.

NOTE* these offsets are to the skin's outside surface...you will have to subtract skin thickness in order to get the correct dimensions for the outer edge of your frames. Also...the sections have no thickness and I assume that you aren't doing an absolutely square box so you will have to take into account the frame location and bevel accordingly...forward of max beam bevel forward, aft bevel aft. Best if you assign stations for each surface of your frame...eg: 1 surface 2"( or actual frame thickness) aft of your frame face surface location (for a frame aft of the max beam). This will give you the perfect amount of bevel needed for each frame

Example: using 2" thick frames, third frame from transom (15" interval between frames) forward face is 45" from 0. I would put a station at 43" and one at 45". This would give me the ability to loft both surfaces of the frame (remember to take into account the thickness of the skin on both sides) and plane to the lines for a perfect fit.

12. APP

APP Junior Member

Nice. Thanks. So I get a txt file with offsets. However, marshmat said above that the dfx files are needed for CNC machines. How do you convert the txt file with offsets to dfx or do you prefer to export from Freeship directly the dfx file (but CAD should isolate each Station in a separate drawing?).
    What I want to know is how (and if possible) one can pass from Freeship to CNC cutting files? I feel rather confused. Sorry to trouble you.
    Regards
    APP

13. lumberjack_jeff

lumberjack_jeff Sawdust sweeper

freeship or FREE!ship+?

Either way, save drawing views for creating bulkheads, seats, soles and longitudinals. (Remember to compensate for hull thickness if necessary)

Hulls, cambered decks and curved transoms all must be developed. Click "tools" and "develop plates". The toolbar of the resulting screen has an icon for "export visible plates to a dxf file"

The cnc company will take the dxf files and make g-code from them.

14. grn

grn New Member

I am also having a problem finding the offsets. I see that you solved this. Could you help me? Also, I am not sure how to show individual stations?

Thanks very much.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.