Steel to use in a keel strut casting

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by budner1, May 2, 2005.

1. budner1

budner1 Junior Member

Hi i was hoping some people with experience could advise me on some trade names for steel with high modulas of elasticity. i'm designing for a uni project a canting keel strut and need more information to finish off my calculations.
    thx Peter

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

The steel of choice for carved keels is Dillimax. Do a google and that should turn up all you need.
    Steve

3. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

All steels have the same modulus of elasticity. Some have higher tensile or yield strength. Many of these properties are affected by heat treatment, some are more or less weldable, stainless steels may have more or less corrosion resistance (and some copper bearing steels have slight improvement in corrosion resistance when coated, due to better coating adherence as well as improved strength), and cost is always an issue. What process do you intend to use (theoretically, that is) to build it?

4. budner1

budner1 Junior Member

l should have been more percise

Maybe not just steel but thinking about cast iron too.
    This best theoretical process without cost consideration would be milling to my mind, but keeping cost in mind i'm trying to way up the factors of fabricating or casting. What i was thinking was casting the strut, there for reducing concentrations of stress in sudden changes of sectional area, corners or over welds. As far as i'm aware with the use of heat treated high tensile steel, you lose its a lot of its tensile properties from the heat generated by any welding. Any more information you can advise me on or help me with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot,
    Peter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.