Saving Hermann Göring's "CARIN II"

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Metronicity, May 1, 2008.

1. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

I find it hard to believe that anyone here doesn't "animate" inanimate objects. If that were so, cars, boats, planes and kitchen tables would have no personality other than their absolute bare function - and boats could no longer be referred to as "she". A real milk-toast world.
    Would an absolutely flawless replica of a da Vinci be the same as one painted by the hand of da Vinci himself? Even if it was painted by his apprentice using the very same paints and canvas and traveled the same roads. A simple enough answer to that could be found at the auction block.
    The same thing that makes a da Vinci a da Vinci makes that boat a Goring (still can't find my umlauts). She'll never get him out of her wake - and he comes fit with a lot of drag.
    I'm certainly not saying she should be burned - only those who want her should be - Whoa! better slow down.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

We become attached to things usually because of attributes presented by the thing itself. When we don't do that, as is the case here, where the deeds of a former owner are clouding our judgement of a boat, I think we are accepting other's ideas of what constitutes guilt by association.
    It absolutely amazes me that anyone can be mad at a boat that is probably worth restoring on its own merits.
    It's as if ones anger is some kind of a cherished thing.
    Anger isn't useful, something proven out by Nazis a long time ago.

3. swabbie

swabbie Previous Member

I'll pick up the big spoon again

Interesting reading your thoughts guys

But just to make it more interesting..

Judging by all your noise based on second hand experiences I'm probably the only one to comment so far that has experienced military at the sharp end as did 5 generations of my predecessors before me and so far my children fortunately have not.

Saddem Hussain had two motor yachts, one destroyed by missiles the other in Cairn that I hope to refit for the new owner....it's just a yacht guys not the owner or his/hers history of deeds good or bad.

4. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

Who's mad? I'm not mad at Carin II, nor do I advocate that she be burned - This has just piqued my interest a bit.

Methinks, the only reason anyone here has heard of the Carin II is because of who commissioned her - not because of her gleaming white hull, sharp sheer lines and superior lineage. She was born a Goering and will die a Goering - just as swabbie's well aware that he's (apologies if you're a she) not just refitting anyones boat - but Saddam Hussein Abd al-Majid al-Tikriti's boat - it makes a difference. Now if it was Doenitz's boat - a man of the sea - that would have a different flavor altogether.
    However anyone wants to handle that knowledge is a personal matter - but history is deep in her timbers.

On a personal aside...
    My brother owns a boat formerly owned by none other than the former Bears QB, Mike Tomczak. Ahh.. once in while, when sentimental winds blow across the bow, we'll sit back and wonder aloud which of the '85 Bears he might have brought aboard....This is embarrassingly true - it comes up almost every time an uninitiated guest is aboard. We have to - an '86 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250 doesn't have too many other attributes we can lean on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.