Can you identify this boat?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by OrcaSea, Oct 13, 2014.

1. OrcaSea

OrcaSea Senior Member

Greetings, I need help identifying this boat that I am restoring. Maybe someone can help?

At first I thought it might have been a modified Blue Jay with a sit-on deck and aft compartment, but the ribs & structure are different. Nor is it a Glen-L design. I am stymied!

It is:

15'7" LOA
    5'7" Beam
    About 22" from deck to deepest measure of the keel
    The mast extends 19'10" above the deck and is keel stepped 53 1/2" aft of the tip of the bow.
    The boom is 9'5" long.
    The forestay (and shrouds) attach to the mast at 17'7 1/2"
    There is no backstay.

The main that came with it is damaged and only 7'5" at the foot (I suspect it is NOT original), so I need to determine the correct sail plan for this boat. The jib is in good shape and is: 18'8" x 5'9" x 14'.

It's my first sailboat and first restoration, so I need advice with workable main size if it can't be identified, though knowing the model and design sail plan would be nice!

Thank you for any assistance you can provide :)

[​IMG]

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc117/orcasea/PICT0002.jpg/IMG]

[IMG]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc117/orcasea/PICT0001.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

welcome to the forum,

that looks a lot like a boat I saw for sale at a garage sale in Arlington about six months ago, I think it was up on E. 4th street if I recall. It looked complete with trailer and rig. It was a great price as I recall and I would have considered it just for the trailer, except we already have too many boats in our yard now (most of them projects at various stages of rebuild!).

Good for you rescuing it, it looked like it was worth saving. If you intend to race it in a club or class than finding the correct sail would be important, but you can adapt any sail of about the right size to work on it just for recreational sailing. It is much cheaper to buy a used one and adapt it to work than having a class rig made for you.

I work in town and I would be happy to drop by to take a look at your progress and talk about boats, boat building and restoration any time. this forum is also a great resource of knowledgeable people and information as well.

4. OrcaSea

OrcaSea Senior Member

Hey Peteros, it is, indeed, the boat you saw! $225 for the boat, trailer AND a running 2-horse Honda kicker. So, I guess that gives a good idea of what the base value of the boat was :)

I've been fairly lucky in that I haven't encountered any massive problems - some big ones that took a bit of work to fix, but nothing that has stopped me in my tracks...yet.

Also, I believe I have found out what specific model it is: http://svensons.com/boat/?p=SailBoats/Cresent

Over the years it has been subject to not only some abuse, but design changes, as well, for example, the mast is three feet shorter than designed and the boom is a foot shorter. When I got the boat it had 4 chain plates, but only one set of shrouds, so I thought at the time that someone had moved it to better support the mast...? I didn't know. Now I know that the original design included a spreader and a second set of shrouds, so that is something new for me to tackle - both cost & design wise, as I am doing this on a no/low budget.

I'm learning as I go and as I work back over things I have done already I find myself re-thinking (and sometimes, re-working) the work. There are things I would have done differently if I hade more $$, but...still, in the end I think I will have a perfectly useable 'first boat' to learn in.

Luckily, we have Pacific Marine Exchange up in Bellingham! I know that they carry a pretty good selection of smaller sails for very reasonable prices, and I am pretty confident I can find something that will work.

It would be great to have someone to bounce ideas off of and get advice! There are some additional pics of the work I have done thus far on this thread: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/restoring-16-wooden-sailboat-will-need-help-advice-51633.html

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

From the looks of the support cradles and other items in your picture, it is clear that you are a real craftsman. ( to hell with the Scion it can stay outside. The boat needs the garage)

Yes it looks a bit like a Comet but it could be anything out of an old Popular Mechanix magazine.

Restoring an old boat like that is a labor of love. Go for it. That said, it will cost less, in the long run, to get a used but perfectly functional boat that will not take up a substantial proportion of your life to make it ready to sail. Some of us just need to do it the hard way. Many of us understand that. ;)

6. OrcaSea

OrcaSea Senior Member

Thank you for the kind words, Messabout :)

I have actually found the boat, but I can't find any information on when the article was published, or even when the magazine existed. Judging from the of the pictures, swimsuit styles, etc., I am guessing the 1950's, and while it could have been built later it would be nice to know when it was built.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I don't know if this is a clue, but there is a dark red bedding/sealing compound used and the glue used in many places was a very dark brown.

Thanks, again. I am really enjoying the work. While I have thought many times it might have been easier to build a boat from scratch I like the idea of giving this one new life. I am looking forward to inviting the last owner to check it out when it is all finished ;)

Curtis

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.