New here and new to boats period. Suggestions.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Austin11C, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Austin11C

Austin11C New Member

Hey guys. I'm completely new to boating. I've been on a few boats but it's been years. I fish a lot in East TN and I'm getting kinda burnt out on bank fishing. There's only so many good spots you can get to. I'm very interested in getting a small boat so me (5'10- 200 lbs) and my brother (5'6-160) or someone of similar size can go fish. I've seen on some of the post here it depends on what kind of water it will be on. Mostly Norris lake in Norris Tn if anyone is familiar with the lake. And also Clinch river(which is the river below Norris Dam. And maybe some small ponds here and there. I'm idealing looking for a used boat because I'm on a budget close to 1000$ I've seen some nice looking used ones on Craigslist but I have no idea what kind is ideal for my purposes. V-hull, semi v, or flat bottom? I want at least a 14' and since I have limited experience on boats I am looking for something somewhat stable. I've read that flat bottoms are good for calm waters but not choppy water. Idk what you guys consider calm or choppy. The river I'll be fishing isn't an extremely swift river but I'm not sure if it would be considered choppy. It will just be 2 people 90%of the time with MAYBE a 3rd person if the boat allows.. Any info that can help you guys help me I can give I'm just not sure what matters. On a side not I also would like to put a small casting deck on the front. I want to keep the low center of gravity so it will be no higher than the average bench seat so once I get a boat I'm sure I'll have questions for those with experience with that. Hopefully someone can help, thanks guys!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you want a jon boat, which is a flat bottom. These have the best capacity for their length and are the most stable. You can find them in aluminum, 'glass and wood. Aluminum jon boats are pretty common for your needs, though they can pound in a chop, you'll quickly learn to slow down and angle off a little to ease the pounding. It's also common to see them with a little casting deck or to install one afterward. The next step up would be a warped bottom, which I'll assume is what you're called a semi V. These are dead flat or nearly so at the transom, but have a pronounced V forward. These can take on modest chop better, but have a bit less capacity, particularly if standing forward. Either of these will do fine for you and at this point, the best thing you can do is just buy one and go have fun. You don't really know what you need or want, at this point and the only way to find out, is with some experence on the wet stuff.

3. Austin11C

Austin11C New Member

Thanks for replying! And I've seen a lot of post say to get the widest you can afford/find. Ive found plenty of used flat bottoms but all are 14X36. Do you think that would be wide enough to be stable with two people. I know it may be a bit tippy so I'd make sure we communicated with each other like telling the other when we were going to stand/move etc. I just don't want to spend my budget and get something that might not be what I'm wanting. And the v hulls I've found tend to be much wider at the bottom that's why I didn't know which would be more stable. Again. Thanks for the reply.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Flat bottoms are more stable than V bottoms. The jon boat is the typical shallow water fishing boat and you're really not going to figure out much until you develop some opinions about various boat types. Lastly the wider the boat, the more power it'll need to get similar speeds compaired to a narrower version of the same thing. It's sort of like asking what type of car to buy, when you haven't had a chance to drive any yet. Rent or borrow a few different types of boats, which will help a little with your decision process.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome, Austin. No matter what you get, make sure the seller has clear title or you will be unhappy. If he doesn't, walk away from the deal.

7. Austin11C

Austin11C New Member

Yes something like that gonzo, I've found quite a few on Craigslist. Most of the better deals I'd say(with my limited experience) is on v hull boats. Like I've found multiple v hulls with trailer,outboard,TM, battery,etc for around 1000. While flat bottoms of that price is mostly the boat and trailer, maybe a TM. Is what you guys are saying is it would be wise of me to wait it out and save up a little more money and get a flat bottom? The size doesn't seem like it would be a problem for me because I've went and looked at a couple 14' flat bottoms and a v bottom, both seem to have plenty of space for what I'm wanting, I just want to make sure I get the right kind of boat and not one where I'll be nervous to take out more than I am excited to. Basically I just want it to river fish and sometimes go on bigger lakes. Oh and I'll definitely make sure it's got a clear title, I don't want any more hassle than I have to have. Thanks for the advice.