Cruzpro NMEA to computer -trouble

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by 40 Fathom Andy, Oct 22, 2007.

1. 40 Fathom Andy

40 Fathom Andy Junior Member

Hello

I just installed a Cruzpro D110 fathometer on our survey boat. I need to get the NMEA output from the unit into the RS232 DE-9 serial port on a laptop running Hypack Max. The Cruzpro has a single NMEA output wire that goes to pin 2 on the DE-9 connector, but in order to work properly, the RS232 connection must also have a signal ground connected to pin 5. There is no signal ground wire on the Cruzpro to connect to the signal ground pin on the DE-9. I am at a loss. Can anyone help out? Thanks

Andy

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Simple --E mail cruzpro. I have some of there stuff and they e mail back immediately.

3. 40 Fathom Andy

Thanks for the response. I emailed them, but haven't heard back. Trying to get this up and running in case the weather breaks tomorrow.

I figure there must be SOME way to do this.

4. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Ground is Ground.. almost

RS232 is a signal that is going back and forth between what it thinks is 'zero' and 'one'. RS232 ideally goes between +12 and - 12 volts or so, but many systems these days work fine with voltages only changing from Zero to +5 volts. The 'receivers' just look as anything greater than +2 volts as one and anything less than +2 volts as zero.

RS232 connections show "Signal Ground" and also a "Safety or case Ground" . In the case of a long wire run the 'ground' used should ideally be 'signal ground' which is a separate wire and not just the 'shield' on a shielded cable.

But I bet you'd be fine with whatever Cruzpro calls "Ground" or "Common" connected to "Signal Ground" on your RS232 input port.

Let us know how it works out...

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well when I say immediately, usually the same day.

6. 40 Fathom Andy

you guys are correct. From the email response I just received:

Pin 3 is the data output pin, I think, but it's going to be either 2 or 3.

Thanks for the advice guys

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think I am right in saying that on the cruzpro site they have wiring diagrams for their products.

8. TerryKing

Cruzpro Diagrams

Ayuupp.I had it on my machine here as I'm looking at a bunch of NMEA instruments to go to an Onboard Computer project...
    [​IMG]

If you go to http://www.cruzpro.com/products.html and find your product and click (details) usually the link to the manual is right below the picture..

9. 40 Fathom Andy

I found that diagram. Wired that way, it doesn't work. Well, the fath works, but no data will get to the computer with just one NMEA wire.

I'll wire it to the power ground as Cruzpro tech help suggested, although that makes me nervous that I'm going to fry something :eek:

10. TerryKing

Connections??

OK, one more checkout: The connections on the computer's serial port (A DE-9 connector: 9 pins, right?)

Code:
    -Signal-               Label      Pin (DE-9 Connector)
    Common Ground       G        5 	
    Transmitted Data    TxD      3 	
    Received Data        RxD      2 

I believe you need 2 wires connected:

Cruzpro's Ground to Pin 5 "Common Ground"
    Cruzpro's NMEA Out to Pin 2 "Received Data"

More Than Everything you wanted to know about RS232 at: Wikipedia (search RS-232).

What does your software manual say it needs?? It's remotely possible that it needs some other pins jumped, like DSR or something. But that's rarely done anymore, and they should tell you if they do. (This pretends there's a live MODEM on the port).

Otherwise, when I have connected some RS-232 thingie and it didn't work, and Everything Was Right (Yes, I have!), I found Something Else.

Like:
    Not really using the Port number I was sure I was.

Windows has the port assigned to some other software.

I couldn't read the pin numbers on that damn little connector with 60+ year old eyes.

I forgot which cable color I was using.

It's Gotta Be Somethin'!
    Code:

11. 40 Fathom Andy

Hi Terry

Thanks for the info. I connected the power ground on the D110 to pin 5 on the DE-9 connector and it worked. So, I connected the white wire to PIN 2, and the black wire to PIN 5 and power ground. The data comes in to Hypack and I can see the data streaming into the hardware test program.

Now my problem is I can't get Hypack Survey to display or log the data. Nothing is ever easy, is it?

a

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.