Whaleback, a sharpie/sailing canoe

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by skyl4rk, Sep 3, 2006.

1. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Junior Member

I am building a self-designed sharpie/sailing canoe which is similar to the Paradox concept. The project is just past the rollover stage.

http://cruisenews.net/whaleback/

2. ernie

ernie Junior Member

Call it my PKB bias but it kind of looks like a skinny micro with bilge keels.

then again I learned about sharpies from a Bolger book, so anything with a flat bottom looks PBish to me.

Being a skinny displacement hull it should handle an electric drive well (if you where so inclined)

What is the bottom paint? Looks like copper cladding from the way old school.

3. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Junior Member

The bottom paint is VC17M, which has copper powder in it.

The hull shape was based on Munroe's Egret, Paradox and a few old sailing canoe hulls. It is pretty much a sharpie with chine runners, much like Paradox.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Bump....holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Does anyone know whether this project was ever finished?

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Or why?

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I clicked on his link and read his design parameters. Apparently he wanted something small but enclosed for cold weather on the Great Lakes, and was planning a small cabin that would give sitting headroom.

I quote, "The Great Lakes are cold for most of the year. The boat must provide shelter and insulation from the chill of the Lakes. Sitting outside in an open cockpit overnight is risking hypothermia, except for a few weeks of the year. The boat is intended to be a small boat, and the solution for this problem is to design the boat so that all lines, steering and ground tackle can be controlled from inside the boat or within reach when standing in a hatchway. The boat has a low profile to reduce windage and promote good close-hauled performance. There is sitting room only inside the cabin, the berth is too low (about 30 inches) to sit up in. There is no traditional cockpit in this design, the position of the pilot while sailing is sitting in the cabin."

I'm not sure what he had in mind for seeing where he was going....

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm not sure why anyone would want to employ runners, but the hull needs a great deal of "belly" or depth to work effectively (relatively). This hull doesn't appear to have sufficient belly. You can't possibly expect good closed hauled preformance with runners, regardless of rig type used.

This thread is a long dead, recently revived thing. I wonder how it worked out, though I can guess at her preformance.

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The whole thing looks top-heavy to me, even without the planned cabin.

I'm the one who resurrected the thread, out of idle curiosity. But the builder's web page hasn't been updated either, so he probably petered out and never finished the build.

9. PAR

I suspect he finished the build, tried it out and realized he wasn't as brilliant as Bolger and the runners didn't do dick for windward ability, let alone leeway. I've played with them a little and those wouldn't hold a craft up into anything. I'm not sure how much displacement he's planning on, but arranging hull volume for optimum result, must have been a class he skipped. With that stern as tall as it is, it should march around an anchor or mooring line in an annoying fashion too. But then again, what do we know.

10. ernie

ernie Junior Member

If PKD sails to Cuba on a boat designed by PKB does he have to believe in reality to find Hemingway?

11. PAR

No, not all all Ernie . . .

12. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Junior Member

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

In spite of my doubts about the design, I'm genuinely glad to see you haven't given up on your project.

Looks like you're making some headway again. Do you still think you'll be able to get her into the water this spring?

14. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

From the depths of the forums: Hmmmmm, did this ever get wet? Hoping the owner is still around, with a report. I have never seen so many pictures of one boat being built. Looks like it could be light on top, didn't see any insulation except on the deck, I thought the Great Lakes were a little chilly.

15. PAR

[​IMG]

I have no word on a splashing or it's abilities underway.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.