Proa Rudders, from Balkan Shipyards

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rael dobkins, Aug 4, 2023.

1. rael dobkins

rael dobkins Dreams come True, But only to Dreamers...

Hi guys in this Video you will see our latest Proa, A true Shunter, the HAVAYA 30/25.
    Many years and many designs flowed under the bridge....
    This one could be it! or almost it....
    Keep Shunting guys,

Balkan Shipyards

SolGato and fallguy like this.
  2. skaraborgcraft

skaraborgcraft Senior Member

Well done Rael. Persistence pays off. Happy shunting!

3. rael dobkins

Thanks man appreciated, keep Tacking hey....
    Balkan Shipyards

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The rudder mount looks light, brother, but your work is remarkable. I understand the shear pin, but it looks all a but weak to the sea to me. Tell me I'm wrong. I would make the longitudinal supports a bit stronger; like with a brace.

This was your best video by like 1000 times because you were brutally honest with the rock eating business. Loved it so much.

If you make it to America, I'm buyin.

5. SolGato

SolGato Senior Member

I like the articulation, stowability, and kick-up features of the rudder.

If I understand correctly, the U hoop will we welded to the latch plate to act as a stop/guide for the shaft which pivots in both Axis at the top fixture?

I assume you will then use a “fuse” of some sort to pin the latch plate and dial that in for appropriate kick-up forces so it can kick without transferring the impact energy into the lower bracket bolted to the hull?

Your absolutely right about the challenge of accomplishing articulation like that.

It looks easy until you start to ask a system to function in different “modes”.

And on top of that, how to keep it light, simple and streamlined so it doesn’t detract from the overall design.

6. rael dobkins

Looks strong to bro, 3 mm copper wire shears at 80 kg. I built a jig that was as long as the rudder, and we were cutting stuff all day long, it came down to 3 mm copper wire or 4 mm aluminium rivet, I chose copper. I cant imagine the water pushing the rudder aft at that force.....

Happy you liked d vid, Keep Shunting.....
    Balkan Shipyards

7. rael dobkins

Yes and Yes, you understood what's going on later on I will upload a vid of the finished system. I built it with regular steel and then started all over with SS.
    I tested breaking loads different materials and at different sizes, I chose 3 mm copper wire, 80 kg of force at the bottom of the rudder, will cut the wire and release the blade.

Over a decade of proa building and messing with rudders and steering systems.... It's been a long road, 4 years ago I started thinking about this rudder, I gave up on it many times, then went back to it.... I feel good about it, and I think it will work.

Happy U like it
    Keep Shunting
    Balkan Shipyards

8. rael dobkins

Proa Rudder Kick Up SYS close up....
    Here it is guys and why it's designed that way, The Force is Strong!

Balkan Shipyards.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.