Presentation and project advice

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by messias, Oct 29, 2012.

1. messias

messias New Member

Hello there,

First of all, since this is my first posting, It´s due some introduction and I also would like to say that the reading on this pages is fenomenal!
    I´m Portuguese, 37 yo, done extensive sailing... when I was young! :D Now I want to recapture those unique sailing moments, but... having not set a foot in a sailboat for more than 15years (although I have owned a motorboat for diving), I guess I will have to start all over again when it comes to "sails and wind directions"... and all the rest as well! ;)

That said, I´m currently trying to choose a design that will actually fit my needs and reality, rather than what I would dream in having! I´m living in the Czech Republic and my wife (probably by the absensce of salt water in the country) is not too keen on floating devices, especially the ones that heel :rolleyes: but still she encourages me in "going for it". So the question arrises:
    The Czech Republic does not have a shore line although one can reach the ocean through the rivers and lakes... far away... but feasable. I would like to find a design where I could start taking her sailing in calm waters, that would be confortable for the long cruising days in the rivers up to Germany... and one day eventually capable of doing some real costal cruising miles.
    I´m really NOT in a hurry, but the most probable and smart advice of buying one design now and another later on, is simply not sustainable. I would rather wait another year or two and buy a "capable thing", rather than buying a small, wet, unstable and unconfortable design that will definatly make me cruise alone:D

By the "requirements", I recon it has to be something on the "bigger" side, but i can keep it in the water all times, that is no problem.

Well... hoping for you to shed some light into this and thanking you in advance,
    Messias.

2. messias

messias New Member

Oh... I forgot to mention that I already have the "coastal licence" (but lack the experience) I´m not aiming at anything "flashy" or too modern, nor do I have anything against the hull material since they all have their specific advantages.. jut want to keep it simple, reliable, long lasting... and comfy.

Thanks,
    Messias

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.