Sailrocket 2 set to launch

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by P Flados, Feb 19, 2011.

1. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

When everyone was still trying to break 50 kts, I realized that the one direction boat only was the best bet for breaking through the barriers, but that the penalty was the need for lots of support and the reduced number of runs that could be squeezed in on a given day.

I have dreamed of a small go - fast sail "build it in my own garage" boat that leverages off the concepts you and/or the SR team used. Not 50 kts, but still faster than any singled hander that could be bought. However, as a "go it alone" sailor, I have known that it would have to be capable of useful navigation.

I felt that a boat that would be able to sail "normal" at low speeds and then line up for higher speeds by deploying a paravane would have potential. I would still want some amount of steering and was concerned at how hard steering would be to implement. Also, I never have seen any info on what configurations for a paravane would do the job. Your team seemed careful to not show us what yours looked like.

My first effort was a small Proa to try to leverage off of asymmetry (90% of boat weight to windward) with out giving away useful navigation. I could not seem to pull together aspects that would provide potential for speed and retain reasonable navigation abilities.

I gave up and moved on.

Right now, I am in the middle of cobbling together a tri that can be used as a test platform for various ideas: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/small-tri-test-platform-51551.html

Right now, my effort is using only low cost and low tech build methods, so I really do not expect much. But I am having fun and I am learning a lot along the way.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

SailRocket

From a discussion in the GC32 thread about whether or not the upper portion of the SailRocket foil is designed to generate vertical lift:
    =====================

After much looking I found a version of what I was looking for. Remember, I said that the portion of the foil above the transition curve is designed for vertical lift:
    from www.sailrocket.com/node/497 (comments-"reply armchair")

Yes, the foil is blunt above the transition (radius). The foil above the radius is affected by both the leeway angles of the boat and the pitch settings of the foil. Seeing as the upper foil is at 30 degrees to the HORIZONTAL, the horizontal pitch settings affect this section of the foil more than the more vertical lower section. The upper section of the foil is more responsible for generating vertical lift. If it generates too much then the back of the boat rises until we reach the transition (radius) of the foil where the vertical component lessens. If we go too far then only the bottom section is left in and that is angled so it is pulling down more than the rig is lifting i.e. we will have net negative lift and be pulled back down to the transition. The boat should seek balance around this transition. If we are riding too low we can increase the pitch of the foil to generate more lift on the top section or decrease the whole inclination/roll of the foil. Getting the right settings is key to making the foil perform. We are still playing with it.
    Cheers, Paul.