ply cheat?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by nicdan, May 11, 2009.

1. nicdan

nicdan New Member

Hello everyone,

I got this ideea that instead of normal ply that needs to be coated to be made waterproof, I could use bathroom-floor ply which comes water-proof from the factory. It's not really a big difference in price (especially when talking about small boat builds) but they do come in smaller sizes (i'll try to be accurate with ft calculations, i'm used with metric: 3' 28'' x 3' 28''). Another advantage is that some already look quite good, not to mention that they come in different thicknesses. My main concern is it seems very flexible even for greater thiknesses and I understand that the rigidity is a must. What do you think about this?

O.T. : I'll take advantage of my first post to say a couple of things about myself: I'm 28, no wood work skills (except for a totem I carved with a poket knife, might go well on a canoe), and more importantly I'm not ready to commit to a project. I've been reading for the last couple of weeks just about any single information I could find on boat building, and for the moment I'm looking for very simple sail-boat designs (fast though, I like speed), thinking that my first project should be of a learn-the-basics-of-everything type, fast enough to build so that I don't loose interest at the middle.. I got the space, but not the tools, however I plan to enlist the help of a friend who has a small furniture factory.. if I do decide to build one.

2. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Hull stiffness is a function of supporting structure and curvature - flat panels are flexible regardless of material. Using cheaper materials is a build choice you can make to fit cost targets - just do so with understanding the lifespan of the product may be reduced. There is no reason you can't build a beautiful boat, just don't expect it to last as long.

I've been fielding a design concept for a children's boat using low cost materials with a major assumption being that the child using the boat is going to outgrow it within two or three years. This changes the game in terms of build materials and design. I am doing so with the clear understanding the boat built isn't going to have a five to ten year life span though.

I'd study the Epoxyworks magazine back issues, check out Duckworks and search through the archives here. There is lots to learn if you start looking. You'll make a lot of people happy if you use Google and site searches, as most of the questions you will ask have been answered already.

You will learn more by building and spending time in the shop than by researching things to death. One hour in the shop equals one day on the Internet. Take a look at the "Tabu" thread here - and compare it to some of the huge threads about "foiling". The Tabu thread author, David has built a boat and is ready to get on the water with it in hundreds of hours less time than any of the theoretical discussion surrounding foiling technology.

Have fun, use the search function, don't be afraid to ask questions and report progress!

--
    Bill

3. nicdan

nicdan New Member

I just registered, but I've been looking in the threads of this forum for a fiew days already. Concerning the Tabu thread, I can honestly say it's the second site I open in the morning, after gmail, but the first I look at. I'm avidly (is this a word in english?) waiting for pictures from the launch.

You will learn more by building and spending time in the shop than by researching things to death. True, that is why I'm also trying to select an easy-build project before I can do something bigger.

Thank you for the welcome, and advice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.