restore vinyl boat fenders emdeded mildew stains

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by sdowney717, Jun 16, 2011.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I cleaned off the white vinyl large fenders that were blackened with some serious mildew.
    I used 30% bleach in a bucket and a toothbrush soak and scrub. All the mildew is gone but there is a lot of staining still on the surface. I was thinking of some kind of rubbing compound? It would have to be strong and coarse to to do that.

Or some people say use acetone to dissolve off the surface and expose a fresh vinyl layer.

Anyone ever successfully restored appearance of really dirty fenders?
    Wet sanding?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Diplomat

Diplomat New Member

Cover them up with "fender socks"! They hide your worn fenders, but the main advantage: You avoid the squeaking sound against your hull and have a better sleep at night.

http://www.yachtchandlers.co.uk/acatalog/info_PL57247a.html
    (Shop for prices/types, this was just a random Google hit...)

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

New ones are not all that expensive but I will ask the missus what she uses. --its not my job.

4. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

that stain is tough. I tried some turtle wax rubbing compound, the orange color, and it did not a thing.
    I wonder how mildew gets into the structure of what you would think is fairly impervious.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

acetone....melt the UV burnt rubber off the fender, then in future shield your fenders from the sun with fender socks

1 person likes this.

6. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

No, your job is to get her a sammich :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.