sailing kayak ideas, pairing up a couple to make a cat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by skyking1, Sep 20, 2021.

1. skyking1

skyking1 Junior Member

OK captains obvious. What starts out as lighthearted spitballing of ideas gets drug down to that same dismal space. I'm not making hulls out of paper and elmers glue, and proposing sailing through the inside passage here.
    No finger in empty light socket, not running with scissors. I waited an hour after eating before swimming.
    Buy stocks low and sell high. :D

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

There are a lots of different criteria for success around here.
    Have fun.

Oh, the worst time for swimming is between 45 minutes and 1hr 15 minutes after eating, because that's when digestion takes a lots of blood from the limbs to work properly. More chance of cramps.:D

Actually its really hard to tell what is "lighthearted" and what is serious without talking face to face.
    IMHO.

3. skyking1

skyking1 Junior Member

several posts up I had mentioned a conventional kayak with out rigger is more practical, and we went off that way at least as far as I was concerned. We chatted about sailing canoe kits even. I think that was your link?
    Gonzo posted the mismatch he found humorous, and I replied "proa" with this big smiley :D
    That was the key right there the big old :D
    Of course a proa is a very specific thing, but it seemed a proper comment to humor on the mismatch thing.
    See now you have me sailing my own damn obvious ship! :)

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you need or want a catamaran, why not buy one? It will be cheaper, better, easier, faster and safer than a cobbled together contraption. When I need a car, I buy a car; not two motorcycles and duct tape them together.

clmanges likes this.
  5. skyking1

skyking1 Junior Member

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

7. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

8. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

interesting design. I'm wondering if similar could be done by riveting and gluing sections of pipe to kayak's deck in about same spots to receive the cross beams, but I'd start out with straps around the hulls.

Kayak hulls don't look like cat hulls and its got no dagger board(s) but shouldn't be a deal breaker.
    The idea is kayaks are handy and common, but are also very limited in that you are mostly stuck in one seat and they are unpleasant in any chop and not well suited to any sailing rigs, so in theory a kayak cat could provide a huge new range of utility.

I'm not worried about mismatched hulls for the same reason a symmetrical cat can be unevenly loaded from side to side and do just fine. Plus, if starting out as DIY with just pipes it should be also possible to make relocating the mast in 2d fairly easy to help find balance.

9. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I saw this kayak and found that it was a very reasonable price and design -in Brazil.
    Most cheap kayaks are rotomolded out of polyethylene which is about as resistant to glue as any plastic. Welding is possible but weak and you still have a heavy flexy hull to deal with. The bright side is that kayaks are so easy to push up to hull speed that low performance can still be entertaining.