Sailing Experience

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Fanie, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The polyester and hardner arived today, the flat bar arived yesterday and I've started to bend the profiles. First few was easy, but it becomes more difficult when your hands get tired.

I could post some pics of the resin although I doubt that was what you had in mind ;) The foam and glass mat will arive tomorrow, the mast will be here on Thursday if all goes well.

I have to get the sail made up still, just want to make double sure the dimensions are sound.

I have designed a small furling roller for the sail, the SS laser cut parts will hopefully also arive this week, will just weld them together then.

Masalai, any absence here won't be due to the tri. Everybody (clients) wants stuff before next week Friday so I'm plowing through a heap of work. I would rather spend the time on the tri though :eek:

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The glass and foam arrived today. All the centre hull section steel was cut this afternoon but has to be bent still, I may begin to make the jig tomorrow if work doesn't interfere again...

Still waiting for the laser cutters to finish cutting parts for the furling roller... the piece clipping to the mast top is complete except for a laser cut part that is absent. The long part awaits two discs which is where the rope winds up into before I can weld it together.

Everything runs on bearings... I wonder if it will work too smooth and quiet... :rolleyes: The youtube movies I saw these things were quite noisy and a constant clanking of cables and pipes :eek:

Attached Files:

• Furl.jpg
      Furl.jpg
      File size:
      155.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Mast sections arrived... Blimey ! all the stuff is here (except the laser cut items) so I guess I'll have to do something...

4. tuks

tuks Junior Member

I am interested in your sailplan. What dimensions are the mast? Will it be stayed? What shape is the section? How much does it weigh?

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

All the sections were bent a-hand welded tonight.

Still no laser-cut items... In SA these metal workers cutters moldmakers (anything to do with metal works) are by far the worst I have had to do with. It's a week already and the 5th bunch I'm trying to get to cut a few SS pieces. Really pathetically pathetic.

Hi Tuks... Ask easy questions please. The sail plan is not what you would expect. At this stage it is an experiment, the mast is at the rear, 6m tall and will work like an oversized jib. If I have it correctly sail centre force will be just foreward of the centre hull centre.

I ordered some extrusions from Solo Wings (aeroplane stuff) solowings.co.za, and has a bottom piece one meter long, inside it another 5.2m long and inside that another piece 6m long. You could say I have a laminated mast. The inside extrusion dia is 42mm.

The sail area is 8.9m2, but it may change... I'm going to have a sail made by Robbert from Hyde Sails unless you refer me to someone else for some reason. The sail will have the furling roller cable included. I chose this sail plan / setup for various reasons, one it's very easy and fast to get rid of the sail. Unless I'm mistaken it should sail very much alike the std bermuda setup. Yes it has a forestay, the sail section is triangular :D

The setup I guess should be a bit lighter than another sailboats 5m mast I felt the wight of a while back. Don't know in kg's... a few :rolleyes: but not heavy.

I won't race with this rig... for that I'll go to an 8m mast with a couple of tricks I was thinking up recently and slimmer hulls, but I'm not interested in racing, so this will be like an explorer sail... remember sailing experience...

6. tuks

tuks Junior Member

Rob devlieg is an awesome sailor, I have bought a few sails from him and every one has been top quality, I wouldn't recomend anyone else.

The mast aft rig does sound a little odd and I have no idea how it will work. Testing the idea before boxy fisher is a good idea. Sleeving the mast with different tubes is not uncommon at all, although your sleeves do sound longer than most. If my mental picture of your rig is correct, I would not have tapered the tube. What wall thicknesses and alloys are we talking about here?

Your rig sounds fairly concervative, and for learning to sail it sounds good. Think very carefully about putting a bigger mast on it. I dont have much experience on cats but I have seem many people struggle to right them after they capsize. They have high stability which makes them difficult to capsize, but the same also applies when righting them. If your tri is wide the problem will be worse

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The cat is about 4m wide and 5m500 long. The windrider I was on before was about the same relation to sail size... and I never got the impression it would capsize. Maybe I'm too fat or something :rolleyes:

This setup allows one to trim the sail to any size, so if the wind picks up to uncomfortable you can sail with a smaller sail.

I may go and see Rob... didn't know he fly also :D maybe he could add to the little I know about sails.

8. tuks

tuks Junior Member

At 4m beam I suspect you will have so much righting moment you will break the rig before it will capsize, and you should not be out in that much wind. If you do capsize good luck. Im not sure on how much buoyancy the amas have though.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Plenty (I think). They will be 300mm wide by 4m long and 400mm high ( sorry the shipping terms) taking into consideration the shape...

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I ordered the sail today and got a couple of cleats and a few other goodies as well as some rope. The stainless steel stuff is very expensive eh !

I draped the foam over the sections to get an idea of what it's going to look like and BLOODY HELL !! the tri is going to come out somewhat larger than what I expected. Dismantled again and measured the foam out , cut the edges closer to shape. The center hull form foam should be able to float more than 200kg,

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The centre hull's foam weight alone is about 10kg's and includes a few cross sections for extra stiffening.

Very nice... it rained all day Saturday and didn't do much with the tri.

The centre hull's foam is draped over the sections and fastened. Had to do two cutouts on both sides to prevent the foam from bulging too much due to the hull's bottom shape not being streight.

I still have to do a bit of trimming of the foam on the front, when done I can begin to cut the glass and do the hull's layups. Looking foreward to floating it in the pool :D

12. tuks

tuks Junior Member

What layup will you use?

I am beginning to suspect foul play, some photographic evidence might convince me otherwise :D

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Tuks... really not much to see yet

Tri1 - Delftship :D
    Tri2 - Centre hull foam

Polyester resin... 450g woven mat

Attached Files:

• tri1.jpg
      tri1.jpg
      File size:
      350.3 KB
      Views:
    • Tri2.jpg
      Tri2.jpg
      File size:
      290.5 KB
      Views:
  14. masalai

masalai masalai

Very sexy lad, looks like it is coming along splendidly.

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I hope you're satisfied... seems pretty pointless to post pictures of the resin tins and the roll of glass...

I may put a page up on my web site with pics from the start, the work is pretty boring though. Just a matter of doing it and keep on untill it's done. Fortunately, tomorrow, today's tiredness will be forgotten... but with something to show ;)

The measuring and marking of everything took the most time. This hull is made off the frame you see in the first pic. Once pic2 is glassed (and became a hull) can I make a jig from it's inside. From there on it will be easy to reproduce - drape the foam, tie down and glass.

Don't get too excited yet - I still have two amas to go... hopefully they will be quicker to make since they're smaller :rolleyes: