Sailing Experience

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Fanie, Nov 25, 2007.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Fanie - the thing with dinghy sailing is as Charlie said, things happen quickly, you can do a lot in minature, like in a small pond! On the BIG boat it takes time for your actions to unfold, and of course the results are more comprehensive and hard to undo.

In a dinghy sailing into the wind push the tiller up everything stops all flapping, push it back down the boat starts off again almost immediately! Do that on a large ketch, it takes some time before anything actually happens, then when it does the boom goes all over the place, people get hurt, panic sets in and when you try to get out of it nothing happens because by now it's all gone completly wrong! See what I mean? (Ok maybe I exaggerated a little for effect but the main truth in is there!)

Go learn in dinghys, move up to hobie cats for your cat training (they go like **** of the proverbial shovel by the way! and they teach you PDQ - pretty damn quick!)

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I think I know why things take longer to happen on a big boat. IT TAKES SO BLOODY MUCH LONGER TO GET THERE !

I saw this youtube video of this massive tanker. Now to think the anchor on this thing gets stuck, I can imagine it's going to take the skipper quite a while to get there even if he runs for it, then wiggle it loose, throws it out, and runs back. His coffee is going to be ice cold by then.

I'm not such a good runner any more which is why I've limited myself to the boxy, ten paces (meter) can't take you longer than a few seconds to get there.

Then, one day when I'm as old as some of you guys I'll get a dinghy so you won't have to walk anywhere to do anything ;) Get things done quicker.

3. safewalrus

Sounds good to me son!

some of the tankers I used to run around your part of the world in were that kind of size (used a bike to get to the front end from the back). Several days using big paint rollers and ten men to paint the main deck that sort of stuff!

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I noticed. They even do their layups in huge sheets of steel. You saw the youtube video of the anchor dropping on this tug boat... 4 5 c imagine the tug boat guy couldn't swim :D

Maybe they could give the ten guys bikes, should get the field painted somewhat quicker. Does painting a ship while under way counts for sailing experience ? or just painting experience ? When someone without arms has a gun, is he still armed ?

Now if it takes someone to finish his cat over like 6 or so years then surely a tanker that size must all be inherrited from generation to generation for completion. Grampa started our boat, but I won't be sailing or completing it, my grandson is going to finish er.

5. safewalrus

It's painting not deck hockey! Who's sailing? sailing means using lots of canvas? so if your painting a canvas deck underway I guess you could be getting sailing experience, unless it splits then jou just get painted!

Either way I guess 'ees '(h)armless'

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

When one overnights on the sea on a yacht, does someone always stay awake to keep watch ?

7. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Depends on whether she's at anchor. :D

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You mean it depends if SHE's awake or not ;)

Even if anchored, are there other boats sailing or is it their problem watching out for other boat's lights ?

9. artemis

artemis Steamboater

"she" in my comment referred to the vessel - unless you're going to adopt the "it" generic term supposedly in use today when talking about a vessel.

I assumed that she was on the open water and, if shorthanded, would be sure to be outside normal traffic lanes at night, throw out a sea anchor, and have proper lights out.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

I have tried it in the trampoline of a "beach cat", better than on a water-bed, you don't get wet whilst doing it, unless a gust of wind bursts on the scene at the critical moment. then everything moves (not just the earth).

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Gee Artie,
    Think of what you wrote in the human form and is very relevant there too!

Oops wrong thread. Getting excited and carried away again!?

12. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Depends on your preference. If you're underway, the knowledge (quite a lot of documentation of this) that there are large ships moving about with no one awake on the bridge might influence your decision on watchkeeping. :D :D

13. safewalrus

Legally yes, but as in all things it depends where you are and what your doing! But if in the wrong place at the wrong time and a bloody big ship hits you at speed it don't really matter does it? Your dead! (does that tell you anything?)

14. masalai

masalai masalai

I have found a couple of solo cruisers who occasoinally snooze whilst holding the tiller, one story inside Shark Bay (Western Australia) ran aground at the opposite end of the bay - travelling south from Carnarvon. The other guy had radar fitted which could be programmed to "anchor watch" every 15 minutes & sound alarm if an echo was found.

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

There are those stories of port authorities questioning the bright colored paint splotches and scrape marks on the bow of a large bulker, tanker, or container ship.