why no Nesting Ice Chests (coolers)?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I've got a little 6 can Rectangular Flat Top and a 13 can RFT and the 6 can ALMOST fits inside but not quite.

Same maker, Coleman?, no less. Seems so obvious. They got nesting luggage.

Nesting coolers seem a better ap because you tend to consume the contents, unlike with luggage.

There is this 2012 patent but I'm pretty sure it would be overturned in court on prior art, etc.
    https://www.google.com/patents/US20120285955

PS-the first thing I notice I don't like about this patent's design is it doesn't include the most obvious additional feature: A way carry them more or less secured as on or more units. I'd have semi-locking lugs and indents, and a strapping system so you could semi-securely stack or otherwise gang them up when full.

Put interlocking bumps/indents on the sides so a strap would gang them together side by side. That way the whole set would float nicely as a unit, or become a cohesive serving presentation.

Maybe make the largest a wheeled unit.

PS-a nesting design would also work for if you really wanted to keep something in the center cold for a long, long time. Pre-chill the outer units, then ice the gaps, etc.

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

there are similar items available.

Any of these might work too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We own a lot of soft coolers, these are easy to pack, and when empty they can be folded flat and tucked into a small irregular area (better than a hard case cooler).

[​IMG]

3. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

There have also been rugged inflatable ice chests in the past, which collapse even smaller than above examples and are also lighter in weight. Maybe they could be designed to collapse in sections which tuck in as the contents are consumed?

PC

4. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

These Stanley 7 and 16 quart MIGHT nest, but that only two, and the lack one of fave features in flat top coolers.....A great place to sit.https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-4002755-P-Adventure-Cooler/dp/B00PUEGZ96

And the lid can't be detached easy for use as a tray.

I was gonna use one of these as a seat for a sliding seat rowing scull. They are that good to sit on! I'll put binoculars on a tripod and start bird, etc watching and I'll forget I'm sitting on anything and start looking around for the beer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rd_wg=GYQWX&psc=1&refRID=18VA428ZCF03Q0E21CMG

I was at Walmart, Target, etc and it seemed like all the cooler makers got together to make all the coolers just barely not nest, except for the tiny ones into a huge one.

5. The Q

The Q Senior Member

Probably 'cos most are All full of beer, like mine...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.