Freeboard calculation according to ICLL

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by e.m.milad, Jan 31, 2017.

1. e.m.milad

e.m.milad Junior Member

Hi every body
    I am trying to calculate freeboard of a vessel
    in my calculation I found (freshwater allowance) less than (summer freeboard - tropical freeboard)
    is it possible?:confused::confused::confused:
    I mean this means ship allows to sink more in tropical zone more than in fresh water!!!
    is it possible?
    where is my problem??
    is the model and TPC or displacement is wrong?
    Thank in advance for your answer

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I think you need to supply more information that that. As there is insufficient information to say what/where/why....

3. e.m.milad

e.m.milad Junior Member

Well I think because water density of oceans is about 1.020 to 1.029 then the maximum tropical draft of one specific ship (regardless of ship type) shall always be less than maximum freshwater draft.
    I want to know if (by some reasons I do not know why) in freeboard calculation we reach opposite results what should we do?

4. Heimfried

Heimfried Senior Member

The greater the freeboard the lesser the draft. Did you mix it up?

E. g.: The deckline shall be z(deck) above the keelline (z(keel) = 0) . The tropical fresh water draft is z(TF). Then the freeboard TF is z(deck) - z(TF).

The winter north atlantic draft z(WNA) is lesser then z(TF), therefore the freeboard WNA is greater: freeboard WNA = z(deck) - z(WNA).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.