Saildrone makes history

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by baywatcher, Nov 5, 2013.

1. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

The FAA is addressing the huge volume of UAV's in general. Think aeromodelers, tiny helicopters used for photography and surveying besides the military. The problem is already there and they are addressing it by testing on the new UAS sites.

Dino

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Baywatcher, I know Michael came to this quite critically - but he is an experienced and reasonable guy here - a great contributor. You might not know it as you are the new guy - but then again - you are the new guy...
    So lets - two of you - instead of escalating try to get to the point. Because I am curious about the next level discussions.

How much decisions can be made by the autonomous mind - and how much it needs to rely on the smarter ones on shore to command it.
    I assume basic tacking and such is handled autonomously even in unfavorable wind conditions etc.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I am watching this story with interest.

I have a concept involving a few dozen autonomous sailing craft, hard to detect due to their small size and non metal construction, launched from Columbia with small size commercial cargo .... if only two out of 12 get through, I can retire :)

5. mij

mij Junior Member

I find this technology fascinating, but if I were trying to develop something to survive for long periods unmanned on the open ocean I would be looking to nature for inspiration. I think that the absence of large floating ocean animals perhaps suggest that either submersible, semi-submersible, or airborne technologies might stand a better chance of surviving.

rwatson - I would be looking to trained dolphins or homing albatross:)

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

While this technology is quite fascinating I can't help thinking one thing, missuse by govs and villants and terrorists sending sea drones loaded with drugs or explosives.
    Would it be better just blow up every unidentified floater and drone before they take over the seas.

7. mij

mij Junior Member

I'm sure that you could develop drones to do just that:)

On a more positive note, drones that seek and then track floating containers and the like would provide a valuable service to all ocean going vessels.

8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Well, would it be better not to have containers lost at all?

9. michael pierzga

When a container is lost it is logged , the authorities are alerted . What to do with the lost container is the question. Drones wont solve this ...they cant rescue the object

10. baywatcher

baywatcher Junior Member

Tom.
    Let me start by saying I have a great respect for you work as a fellow professional.
    I have to say I'm a little surprised at some of your remarks.
    To imply that a fellow designer, engineer and innovator is acting irresponsibly is all very well, but do you have all the information on the technology being used and developed by these guys? Seeing as the developer is a "personal friend" and operates very close to you I'm sure you have been in to see what's going on?
    You should, it's very interesting.
    I'm also curious on your take, any anyone else's , of COLREGS. If you were out in your tri and hit a 400lb drone I'm sure you would be fine. As for shipping, I'm sure they wouldn't have a clue they had hit anything.
    Are all the single handed guys doing the Vedee Globe, Velux 5, Route Du Rhum, Jacque Vabre etc, etc in Open 60's (over 8 tons! Not 400lb) and all the recreational long distance sailors (1000's)obeying COLREGS 24/7? No! Look at all the collisions in the last Vendee Globe! Are these guys sailing heros or being irresponsible? They certainly can't maintain an effective lookout while sleeping!
    If they hit you in your cruising tri while they were taking a well deserved nap you would be in trouble!
    I'm sure the technology of drones, with collision avoidance,and all the other wonderfull new innovative projects out there is moving along just like the technology in AC boats, only a little bit safer.

11. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I thought you were disagreeing with Tom, but all this is supporting his position.

"Are these guys sailing heros or being irresponsible? " -Heroes ? They are as irresponsible as the fishing boats doing a night trip that put the autopilot on when they are out of sight of the shore, and head for their bunk.

There is a big trend for young people to risk their life and others with 'hero' status 'high adrenalin' sports.

My youngest son is a keen long distance downhill skateboard rider, 'hero' to many young people, and has been to the funeral of three 'friends' that I know of who died in the 'sport'.

Try reconciling your concern about death defying activity by someone you really are concerned about, versus recommending the impersonal thrill of other people putting their lives at risk for your 'entertainment'.

12. michael pierzga

Even on a singlehander their is a human component. The human can correctly judge sleep intervals, the human can correctly judge danger, the human can respond to unscripted events.....

A drone is a drone...its dumb, no matter how many gizmos you fit.

And dont be smashing your goofy drone against my boat at sea or im gonna find out were you live and burn your da m house down

1 person likes this.
  13. baywatcher

baywatcher Junior Member

Hi there.
    I didn't say single handed sailors WERE "hero's". I asked the question. I have no interest in single handed and agree that they put their lives, and others at risk.
    My point was a 400lb drone doing scientific missions is less dangerous and is not going to kill anyone.

14. baywatcher

baywatcher Junior Member

You shouldn't be allowed to use a pen, let alone a boat.
    You have been reported to the moderator for your threats.

15. lohring

lohring Junior Member

You should all look at what the Google car does more carefully. In the video I referenced, it comes to a 4 way stop intersection and monitors not only other cars, but also pedestrians. It follows a scheme as to when it should go but modifies that scheme depending what the other cars and pedestrians are doing. This is a lot tougher than keeping out of the way of a few ships that can't seriously deviate from their paths quickly. The technology is there. I don't know what was used by the sail drone, though.

Lohring Miller

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.