What's with the axe bow?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by juiceclark, Jul 7, 2008.

1. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

I just received this link in an email about the Ft. Lauderdale boat show later this year. If designers are looking for something new to sell, I can't imagine that being it! On a Wally...ok...but can you see a 22' bowrider with an axe hull?

http://www.showmanagement.com/yachts_magazine/articles/27

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

One wonders what this has to offer that a wave piercer does not do better. It should make for an easier ride in waves but at a cost. As you say, if there is only 22' to work with or a limited budget, who would use part of the length or money for this feature? Most of us have to work in the region where efficient use of space, volume and money is more important than marginal improvement in ride comfort. These restrictions usually drive me more toward the plumb bow school of design. Fortunately, this can result in a good performing and aesthetically very pleasing solution.

Besides, at some point, it may start to act like a submarine. Any volunteers for the bow watch?

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Nothing new as been stated here before...just been out lately..
    And yes I can imagine axebowrider :)

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

why would anyone (in a boat space is gold) build something with all that useless space?,, well unless you have a few miles of rope to store in the bow,,,hehe ;)

5. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

Since when was a vertical prow something new? Or are they just mentioning it as the overall design and the overall design is new?
    Isn't this the same sort of idea as the Dreadnaught Bow or am I missing something.

Here's one example: http://houseboats.apolloduck.co.uk/image.phtml?id=70578&image=3

It's interesting to me that I was sketching our dream-boat with a bow at a reverse angle like that.

6. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

Cool looking but not very practical for roominess.Looks like an expensive shape to build in any material.

7. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Attached Files:

8. ASM

ASM Senior Member

Yup, the last picture was for sure build, I sailed on it during sea trials ! The color scheme is bad but I do like the axe bow, and this particular model ran extremely smooth. Just a question of taste for a lot, a question of advantages for few.

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

whats the door on the bow for?

10. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

Access to the third chain locker.

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

oh,,,,,well,,,,i feel as stooooopid as i look,,hehe :D ,,, thanks Jason ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.