looking for information on wooden mast

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by pelt69, Jan 8, 2006.

1. pelt69

pelt69 New Member

Just purchased a 40' wooden William Albury sloop with no rig, was wondering where i could find information on buying a new one or a used on.
    Greg

2. jerryniff

jerryniff Junior Member

I am new here so have no idea what knowledge is available for wooden boats, masts, etc.? Not trying to chase you away or offend anyone. Just to inform you that there is a bunch of information on the WoodenBoat forum.
    http://woodenboat-ubb.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi
    Hope this helps.
    Gerald

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Typically, wooden masts are built to the specs of a client. I build several a year, using a few different construction methods. If you'd like to email me I can provide you some costs and turn around times. Just click on my name and follow the instructions to email.

Currently I know of no individual or company building wooden masts on speculation or in stock sizes, (there's to many variables) so you'll need to get a quote (I recommend several quotes, it keeps folks honest). In the Miami area I can point you to several sticks I've done over the last few years, to check out the quality of my efforts and discuss performance and durability with the owners. I'm in the Orlando area so getting together for a meeting isn't out of the question.

On the other side of the coin, there is the option of building your own, using one of the few methods commonly employed. There are a few articles available on line, many surrounding the "birdsmouth" technique, though some on built up box section and others. This could also be discussed by email if you'd like.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.