sailcloth specs

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by danielro, Jan 6, 2006.

1. danielro

danielro Junior Member

Hello, i'm doing a comparison study on sailcloth used in a traditional boat competition here in Canary Island and i've trying to find sailcloths specs (stretch, elongation) of not squared polyester woven, Pentex and Kevlar Laminate in the net but it's almost impossible (really impossible) to find this data in the few companies webpages doing sailcloth today.
    I suppose that the sailmakers has this information but i don't understand why it's so, so ... TOP SECRET...
    Anyone can help me??
    Thanks in advance.
    Daniel Rguez. Las Palmas.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you held a proprietary manufacturing responsibility to your share holders, how quickly would you offer up the keys to the recipe file?

3. danielro

danielro Junior Member

I could understand you if i was asking about a new brand cloth never used before or so....... comparing, it's easy to find mechanical characteristics of a epoxy resin or even, of a fiberglass, carbon or kevlar fabrics for boatbuilding.
    Take into account that i am not looking for the chemical formula or composition of the cloth, only for design data.
    Best regards.
    Daniel

4. Pelle

Pelle Naval Architect

5. danielro

danielro Junior Member

Thanks Pelle, It is the information i was looking for,
    Regards.
    Daniel.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.