Sailboats are faster but not cheaper. Why?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by xarax, Feb 11, 2006.

1. rayk

rayk Senior Member

I think our eastern friends soldier through the day much as our western ancestors did.

The conviction they carry to work is that what ever the odds, the bacon is coming home. Just another day in the coal mine. Not that much desperation or anxiety. That is for western journalists to cultivate. Fear and misery. Melodrama. From the local point of view, the journalist looking for unhappiness is not worth the effort to speak to. Happy people stay out of his orbit. Happy people have desires and goals that are being achieved each day. Dinner to make, songs to sing, gambling games to win....

What is our historical perspective of 19th century mining in the old world?
    A job in the mines was a fact of life. A whole town of men didnt set of to work every day in silence with their heads hanging. They had a life. Go back in time and work alongside your greatgrandfather. Mine would get thoroughly annoyed with some ******* whining about everyone elses safety all day.

And how about our own modern western society?
    Does the instinct for self preservation kick in when we shop and eat.
    Or deciding wether or not to put the seatbelt on.
    We have rules enforced that protect our environment(for our kids) and health(mine and societies), and that is a grind to get through every day.
    If I forgot to wear my safety glasses at work, would I be miserable?Or would some one else get upset? They are my eyes, but I am not made to feel that way.

Some fat cat lording it over the serfs and casually shafting them every day is a fact of life every where.

But the world turns because enough people can get the job done.

That means several billion people doing jobs that are too dirty or dangerous to do in my beautiful town.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

"take time to stop and smell the roses" . Geez I'm glad we cleared all that up. (grin).
    Now,, back to boats..

Mychael

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Chinese Junk

OK, since we're back on topic:

http://www.chinesesailboats.com/

Weird. Pirated boats or a scam (Just give me your credit card info, and your Hobie Cat 16 will be in the mail tomorrow)??

Certainly meets the thread subject: sailboats faster AND cheaper

Cheers,

Charlie

4. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Superb writing Rayk :)

5. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Nice one Rayk.

$300 for a new Hobie 16?!?! That's gotta be a scam...

6. rayk

rayk Senior Member

Looks like he recorded a few images on holiday, and presto, internet scam.

7. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Rayk, that's a good insight into the mindset of those workers, expressed well.

On the "Chinese" Hobies, I thought at first a cheap, inferior product, but now I think the purpose is to collect credit card info. Another lazy ******* looking to take the money others work hard to earn.

Charlie

8. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

It makes me so cross that someone could be so brazenly conning people out of their hard earned cash. How can anyone be so immoral? Still, stupid sod, at $300 it's obviously a scam. If he charged $3,000 it might be a bit more believable...

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Yes, I think his stupidity may have backfired this time. I learned of this from someone on another boating forum. So far, about 40-50 people have expressed outrage at the scam, it's been reported to Hobie and to the website hosting service, possibly to LA police by now. This dishonest jerk might just get what he deserves soon.

10. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

the focus should be on the billionairs that are behind this,,,, they should be paying for the environment,longliner

11. rayk

rayk Senior Member

You found me out longliner45.

I will write out a cheque for any thing you like, just dont tell any one else I am a billionaire.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  12. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

ok,,,ok,,you win,,,,,,Im sorry ryak,for flying off the handel,my passions are handicapped people and worker who are taken advantage of ,longliner

1 person likes this.
  13. Sailormann

Sailormann Here - Pull this ...

you need to think to sail - not so much with a powerboat - scares people away from sail....

14. rayk

rayk Senior Member

Howdy Sailormann,

Welcome to the forum

rayk

15. SuperPiper

SuperPiper Men With Little Boats . .

Unless these businesses are family owned, eventually there is a corporate tie to the auto-workers' or teachers' pension plan. These folks are getting killed at work so that westerners can sit on a clean beach when they are old and fat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.