researching this Gaff rigged cutter

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by craigathome, Sep 12, 2006.

1. craigathome

craigathome Junior Member

can anyone enlighten me on the advantages and disadvantages of this design of gaff rigged cutter. I am looking at purchasing a boat to live on with the intention of learning to sail and in my retirement sail the south east coast of Australia . the information i have on this boat so far is,
    50` Gaff rigged cutter, length on deck 40` Design Hoogarts. built in Gosford New south wales Australia 1978,it has a 22HpYanmar.
    Construction; Traditional transierse frames in spotted gum, has cedar lee boards.

Attached Files:

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

For reaching the gaff is a cruisers delight.
    Not as quick as spinakers , but really EZ to handle.

The gaff sails are also under lower loads , so less expensive materials and repairs are needed.

Disadvantage , the weight aloft may increase perodic rolling in the Trades, and its always more work to hoist the main..

FAST FRED

3. craigathome

fast fred
    how do you think this gaff suits my dream, do you think it is a manageable live aboard learn to sail with intention to broaden my sailing horizons kind of boat?

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Researching this Gaff-rigged cutter

Nice interior - but hate the cushion covers...

First question, how much sail experience do you already have; second question, how many do you intend living on board ?
    I reckon gaffs are the prettiest of sail designs - but a rig to suit this size craft could be fairly cumbersome for an inexperienced solo sailor in the changeable conditions (frequent along NSW south coast). It might be more prudent to gain wider knowledge on a smaller gaff-rig (even a dinghy) to start with - or volunteer as day/weekend crew aboard the grown-up version. Get the feel of handling the configuration, get to know the motion so that it doesn't scare the licro's off you when she starts to roll (as Fast Fred suggests).
    But good luck anyway - and do something about those cushion covers....:)

5. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

If you have your heart set on this boat, then have four people check it out with you.

Find a 'sailor' who really enjoys sailing. Get him to take it out with you and tell you about how well it tacks / points / any weather helm / how it handles a decent sea, etc. There is no reason why gaff rig and leeboards shouldn't work well enough, but at the same time it is possible it could be a complete dog.

Find a knowledgable 'engine' guy. Take it out into a lumpy head sea and check out if 22hp is up to the job. There will be times (gaff rigg and lee boards) where you will need the engine to help get you to weather (especiallly as you learn).

Find an experienced live aboarder. Not someone who just has a floating condo, but someone who has done what you dream of doing. What is their reaction to it? Does it have all the bits you need to be comfortable aboard?

Then if the boat itself seems okay get a surveyor to make sure it was built right and has been maintained well.

It may be possible to find all four experts in one guy, but dont be affraid to get more than one opinion. I doubt anyone on here has any direct experience of that boat, so their opinions will only have limited value. It's not like you are asking about a well known boat where lots of people have sailed versions of exactly the same design. So, caveat emptor.

6. craigathome

I am with you on the cushion covers, I don't get sea sick ,but I don;t want to throw up just looking at the interior either. the four people check is a good suggestion, and this forum is the fifth. pleas keep the replies coming there all knowledge.

7. craigathome

my thinking of the 22hp is to keep the bow pointing into the shitty stuff when you have to. is this right? and to just putt along to make things easier most of the rest of the time.

8. craigathome

bergalia.
    just me and the misses. with heaps of time to learn. I am 40, better half 34 , both working, looking at baby steps. weekend sail, week sail, month sail, year sail, sail sail sail.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.