Sailboat design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by solrac, Feb 17, 2006.

1. jedclampit

jedclampit Junior Asparagus

I like the Design...nice work...I'm only concerned with the headroom in the forward cabin… and/or the head. Also it appears the headroom at the cabin hatch will be a bit too close for comfort and you will regret sometimes when you enter or exit the cabin and knock your head. Just my newbie thoughts...

See attached dwg

Attached Files:

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Solrac, jedclampit drawings show what I meant about the wedge shape in plan view (thanks Jed):) affecting the headroom. Maybe you should do an interior profile which will show seating height in relation to deck.

3. jedclampit

The human in the drawing is only 5'-6" tall...I always design for a six foot human because I’m only 5’-10”, but others might be taller and require more headroom.

If it was me and I was in love with the profile of this hull, I would try to move the head aft to the galley location. I would expect to have to crouch over or bend down in a 20 footer but not a 30 footer.

I also don’t like small galleys with limited storage. I would swap the mid deck berth across from the settee / dinette for a galley with large refrigerator and freezer boxes. If you are spending more than a weekend onboard (in my opinion) this would be a requirement.

I have traveled throughout the Bahamas on a power cruiser and have found that typical locations with provisions are usually not the best quality (limited selections and mostly old food) or the best price. Some locations I would not have wasted the fuel to get to port. On a power boat, if you run out of beer (or food) and the only place for provisions is 25 to 50 km away, then you are less than two hours away, but on a sailboat this could take you all day. And I know from experience that if I go without food or beer for that long of a period I become cranky and would probably end up in the dog house with the first (in my case the second) mate.

Just a though from the peanut gallery.

4. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

thanks a lot guys, I have yet seen the height problem, & the solutions, maybe a bit deeper hull or some extra centimeters on cabin roofing.
    working on it. will post it asap.

5. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

Let's see it now, redesigned interior (sacrificed a seat for extra beer capacity) & even I still don't like it, incremented cabin height. will need some more work.

Attached Files:

6. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Solrac the new overhead bunk won’t work, as there is only about 300mm between bunk and deck, you need 600mm rollover room. The cabin in profile is starting to look a little chunky for the amount of freeboard, maybe if you increase the shear height a little you would get more headroom under the deck and more balance to the design. If you need that much sleeping area look to a convertible berth at the saloon table. The vee berth in the bow doesn’t have to be that long, which would give you some more room to put into the anchor locker. The large hanging locker opposite the head may be hard to construct as it is half under the deck and the rest is running up the side of the cabin.

7. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

ok, let's see the attached release 14.8... no bunk, & the cabin profile.... it's not only chunky, it's awful, makes me throw... think better cut this crap & begin with a serious sailplan from a professional....

Attached Files:

8. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Solrac I would never put any gas in a locker inside the boat. Also it makes it harder to trim the boat when one weight (batteries) is balanced with a consumable on the other.
    Don’t give up on the cabin shape, just refine it .The windows could be made smaller and their shape altered slightly. You will get more harmony if you extend all the edges and outlines of cabin and windows up to roughly a single point. I know you seem reluctant to increase the sheer hight but I think you are going to have to. Having modelled the boat originally on a race boat, different priorities.
    The spinnaker I wound go asymmetric, can be handled easier. The interior is coming along, why is there (I think) a step in the sole near the nav area.It maybe time to do some joinery sections thru the hull and deck.

9. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Solrac I hope you don’t mind but I did a quick sketch of what I meant in my last post, 100mm more freeboard and moved the lines of the windows. I also reduced the back of the coach house a little and lengthened the front a little. I don’t have Autocad so I hope the translation will work.

Attached Files:

• imsz.dwg
      imsz.dwg
      File size:
      12.8 KB
      Views:
  10. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

thanks again for your patience, feel as I'm on a kind of abuse..
    your concern about the gas container & the batteries, the cylinder alone weights 60kg, it's designed vor vehicle use, carbon-steel there is not any security issue within.(attach a photo) the weight balance, think batteries would weight about the same, the weight difference will be the 60lts gas (60ltsx0.84=48kg, not real difference)
    I will modify the hull lines to get some more height as you sugested, still don't like the cabin shape. as an old master always said: needs a couple more sheets of paper....
    thanks again

Attached Files:

11. jedclampit

Sorac,

There was nothing wrong with your first design… just a few headroom issues… which is a personal choice… I’ve seen many boats where you have to duck your head here or there… not a problem. The only (my personal opinion) real issue is trying to take a shower or wash your hands in the head. And of course, the cabin entry issue. I only pointed it out because I have to put a large rubber pad on that location on my current boat…I’ve hit my head once too often. I would just tweak the first plan to make the cabin acceptable.

I don’t know why you have not used the dinette /settee as a double berth. Almost every boat has this arrangement…it’s very common and there is a reason for it… it works and saves space…. Just a thought…

I would just move the head aft and move the dinette forward... simple changes would help you keep your original configuration….

Here is my revision to your original concept… I had to convert to inches and this is just a rough idea… you’d have to make the adjustments to fit your needs…

I agree…don’t put the gas inside the cabin…use a cockpit locker...

Jed.

Attached Files:

12. jedclampit

Here's my v2.1

just for kicks

Attached Files:

13. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

sorry guys for the time to answer, was working outside home for 2 weeks. just returned yesterday, promise to answer soon. thanks again

14. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Jed your layout flows well, I would look at your door opening’s there a bit small (min 20ins). The distance between mast and dinette seat is too small to swing legs past.

15. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Solrac I was looking at the waterlines and they don’t seem to refect the section lines. How are you generating your line drawings and from what hull model?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.