Sailboat design 45ft?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by andreasmehlin, Jun 13, 2006.

1. andreasmehlin

andreasmehlin Junior Member

Where can I find good sailboat design plans? I have seen Bruce Roberts but i want it a bit more "modern" style.

Im looking for a sailboat about 45ft.

/Andreas

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

3. andreasmehlin

:) hehe, well you are right.

The thing is... I don´t know many sailboat designs and wanted to study some now on the Internet. My project will start earliest about 3 years from now.

By visiting a lot of site I can start select what I like and dislike :)

So I appreciate all links a can get :)

4. andreasmehlin

Well...
    I shall not say Bruce Roberts is not modern. Wrong use of word.

How much would you appriciate a BR 470 cost builing (material)? And how many hours to estimate? I know these figures can vary much. But "normal".

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Hehe, okay - gotcha :)

Why not buy some books - three years seems like a long time, but there are many, many books out there, and many many more boats.

Just to ask you some questions, to help you narrow your search down?
    Would you like/not like:

Pilot house?

Tiller?

Two steering "places" (I'm not english, hence the poor choice of words)?

Rig?

Which sort of rig?

What sort of equipment?

What will it be used for?

Will you built it yourself?

And, most importantly, for starters: Budget - how big is it?

propulsion? Diesel?

Where will you be using it? Cold climates, warm climates, lakes, open ocean (be honest, now)?

Will you be sailing it alone? Sometimes? Ten children that you know will be willing to help you sail it when it is done and ready?

Sorry, it may seem like stupidity asking you these somewhat rhetorical questions, but it's the only way I can see how you can narrow it down. :)

6. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Ooh, yikes, I hope you're not asking me - not a clue, frankly. again, there are many parametres, and even the pros here will have difficulties estimating that for you. It also depends on which materials you choose. How good you are with your hands and so on.

If you are interested in epoxy/strip construction, then gougeon brother's book on epoxywork is good.

Then there are chapelles "boatbuilding" for the more traditional work. But there are many.

Also, the best way, imo, would be talk to _amateur_ builders who have built that boat.

7. andreasmehlin

My budget depends...maybe I work another year just to get what I want.
    But ordinary equipment.

The boat is mainly for 2 persons and is to be build for a world cruise.
    Rig: sloop
    Pilot house seems nice (but isnt a must).
    Will be used in warm climates.
    steering (not a big issue).

Will build all by myself.
    Material: don´t really know :)

When all these questions appeard....I think I have to reed some :)

But does it cost $100 000 or $200 000 to build a standard equipped boat?

8. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

heh, I am not saying 100.000 won't do it - I frankly don't know - I think it can be done. But I am no naval architect, and the materials matters.

Also, I am thinking, knowing full well that this is a matter of personal opinion, that 45-47ft is a rather big undertaking, and will take you around twice as long to build as a 33ft (at least), and cost you three times the amount the 33ft would set you back.

Just as an example, check out what a normal set of sails, for a normal bermuda rig will set you back - then research on, say a 33ft or a 37ft. That difference in percentages you can project to the rest of the boat. Heck, even the lead for the keel!

Why did you settle on that size?

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Try getting the price on a windlass for a 45ft boat. You won't be able to get it up by hand when you go that big.

I know - I am annoying - I just like things very simple, I am a minimalist, and I kind of adhere to "small is beautiful". Mostly because I can get out more (and more often).

10. andreasmehlin

The size...well I shall not say it is decided.

But cruising around the world in 3-4 years. The boat is going to be your home and space nice then :) and of course a bigger boat feels safer.

but ok...maybe a 40-43 is enogh...the biggest problem is: greedy me :) I want and I want

11. andreasmehlin

maybe a really newbie question. But is steel (much) more expensive than epoxy/wood to build in?

12. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Depends on size. I would venture that steel would be cheaper for the larger ones.

About the bigger boat feeling safer. Much have been written about that, and, to put it shortly, it isn't. Size, especially if shorthanded (remember that you _will_ be sailing it alone, when your better half is off watch), then everything you do will rely on tech, because you're at the limit at what can be handled by one person (without tech aids). Also, the upkeep. How much time will you two spend knocking rust? Painting? Varnishing?

And space-wise, I have to say, that once again, I like it small, if there is too much space, you also have so much more space to gather speed through the saloon in rough weather.

I haven't calculated it, but the interiour difference will be about twice of that of a 33footer, all things being equal, resulting in you having to get much bigger sails, anchors, winches, rig, do much more to the interior and so forth.

I say, keep it as small as possible, that way you might even be able to live a little more, both before, during and after.

As a sidenote - the moment you're near a shipping lane, 45ft is still microclass. ;)

13. Karsten

Karsten Senior Member

Hi Andreas
    From what I gather you don't have much sailing our boat building experience and you want to sail around the world in your home made boat. If I was you I would forget about the boat building bit and buy myself an old fibreglass boat and go sailing. You will need the experience and that way you will come up with a list of things you want in your go around the world boat.

I'm sure there are heaps of people who started a boat building project and abandoned it at some point. Under the ones who made it I'm sure there are a few who discovered that they don't like sailing after all. And then there are the ones who wrecked the ship on the maiden voyage because they didn't know what they were doing.

So get onto the water in your beautiful Sweden, figure out what you want in a boat and if you still want to go around the world sell the first boat and buy one that suits you better. The go around the world boat doesn't have to be new or expansive. A good design with a few upgrades will do.

14. hansp77

hansp77

Sounds like good advice, I think.
    It is so hard to know what you want untill you have actually tried the things out.
    In another thread I (and others) have talked before about that "I did it all myslelf" feeling that a lot of us seem to be after. What I and others have made the point on, is that simply substantially restoring, modifying or improving a boat will probably give you more than enough of that feeling.
    You don't necessarily have to build the thing from scratch. And to try to build a 40ft+ boat for your first build? You might never finish, and it might just put you off your dream of sailing round the world.

In the three years you say you have, I would go out there and do like Karsten says. Buy a fiberglass boat with some of the features you think you are after very soon. Maybe do some work on it to get the feel and scale of how much work will be required to build your own.
    Get out on the water.
    Pretty soon you will have a much clearer idea of what you want for a round-the-worlder. Or if you even want to go round.
    Sell it before your three years is up, and then either continue with your building plans, or just hunt down the sort of boat you want, or you want to modify to.

I am also infected with that dream about building my own round-the-worlder. But after doing all the work I have done restoring my first boat, a wooden 30 footer, I tell you, I think I would much rather just buy the sort of hull and rigging that I am after, and then add on the final touches I would want, like the interior fit out, a deck house, etc etc.

The question is, what do you want to be more, a boat builder, or a sailor?
    If you buy a boat, you can always play at being a builder too, there is always something to fix, work on or modify. However if you start to build your own boat, you are pretty much stuck being a builder untill you finish the thing. Many people don't.
    I like 'mucking with boats' but sailing is really what I want to do.
    So I think when It comes time for me to get my round-the-worlder, I shall be buying, not building.

Best luck whatever you choose.
    But make sure whatever you do, you start to get out there on the water in the sort of boats you think you are after (crewing or whatever it takes.)
    Hans.

15. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

That is some pretty good advice from both of you guys :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.