MS-Polymer vs Methacrylates

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gary1, Oct 3, 2007.

1. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Morning Everyone,
    I'm just after some opinions on what is considered the stronger of the two adhesive types, the first one is called an MS-polymer as opposed to a Methacrylate type of adhesive. They are both supposed to be water proof, I have never heard of a MS-Polymer before. I will be bonding Alluminium to an epoxy base just wondering which would be the better of the two as both make claims to being a permanent type of adhesive and claim to have structual strength properties. The MS- polymer type just sounds as though it may be a bit easier to work with. Anyhelp on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank's
    Gary

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I know nothing about the products you have listed.

I have always trusted my own observations over those of strangers and sales people/literature.

Acquire samples of both and test them, whack them, freeze them, heat them in the oven to 150 degrees.

Then when you read a little something, a light may go off and you will be able to read in between the lines, and cut through the fog.

Just my two cents.

3. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Thank's Kach22i,
    Appreciate the advice I've heard a bit about the Methacrylate just never heard anything about the MS-Polymer type. The thing is I live in a bit of an isolated area and by the time any samples get to me Iwas hoping to have this stage of my build out of the way as I'm on a bit of a deadline to finish this boat.
    Thank's Again
    Gary

4. Jolly Dog

Jolly Dog New Member

I use an MS Polymer marketed by Bostic for ahereing tempered glass to frp windshield frames.

There are a few differences between MS Polymers and Methacrylates. First, the MS Polymer does not have the smell that Methacrylates have. Some people have a resperitory sensitivity to methacrylates. Second, MS Polymers are moisture cured. It may take days for a bead to cure. The Methacrylate is a two part adhesive and dependent on its formulation may cure in less than an hour. In all likelyhood the methacrylate may require a special gun to dispense were as the MS Polymer does not. Finally you will note that when cure the MS Polyer has a much higher elongation before failure.

As for your specific application nothing beats testing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.