sailboat conversation

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mdem, Mar 13, 2013.

1. mdem

mdem New Member

hi im new to the boatbuiling/modifications game but iv been a carpenter for 15 years and have worked on many boats internally.i was recently offered a sailboat hull that was bein renovated im not into sailing but i was thinking of converting it into a kind of day cruiser/fisher!im looking for advice as to whether this would be a good idea and/or if its even possible?its a bilge keel kingfisher 20 i think.im wondering is it possible to remove the 2 fins on the bottom so she'd be more easily transported and also would it be possible to move where the outboard engine is mounted further to the back and fit an inboard outboard system(not sure if thats the right terminoligy!)so i could steer from a console at the cabin?any help or information would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance,mike.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can convert the sailboat to a motor cruiser. Yes, you can remove the appendages, but you'll need some 'glass repairs and possibly some structural reinforcement too. The boat is never going to go any faster then about 6 knots, regardless of the size V8 you install, so skip the whole out drive idea. Beside, this boat can't tolerate that much weight hanging on her butt.

You can move the outboard to the transom and make a splash well to protect the cockpit. A 10 HP outboard will be all your boat needs and a 5 HP, will do unless you're out in storms a lot. A 20 HP outboard will just beat the water to a froth around the back of the boat, but you'll go no faster (it's a physics thing).

Concentrate on building her light, as weight will kill any performance and load carrying capacity. The two fins are called bilge keels and they will let your little cruiser track in a straight line and dry out bolt upright when the tide lets you down (a handy feature, considering your tidal range). Lastly, those bilge keels carry about 550 pounds of ballast in each, so if you whack them off, you'll need to replace most of this weight in the belly of the boat, or she'll float way too high and become unstable.

Have fun, but be careful what you wish for . . .

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

you might see if you can sell it or trade it for what you want. It would be much less work and cost, and you will not end up with a very good boat by doing such an ill advised alteration.

boats designed to sail well generally to not make good power boats, and boats designed as power boats do not make good sailboats.

Such extensive modifications will make it worth nothing since it will not perform very well, no matter how much money and effort you put into it. It would likely be much cheaper to buy a used boat and renovate it than converting this one.

so either enjoy it as a sailboat, or sell it or give it away, and find something closer to what you want.

There is a saying among boat owners: there is no boat you can afford less than the free one.

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

It's hard to find full disp powerboats but if you want one it's something to consider it. I was thinking of doing just that w a larger boat (34 or so feet. Gut the hull and build a trawler on the hull with a similar house to a Nordic Tug. Sailboatsare more efficient that trawlers so 30 to 40 hp would do fine. Cruise at 6 to 6.5 knots just like my Willard but w a much bigger boat and w the same power. I'd plan on leaving about 1/3 of the keel and it would be best to find a sailboat rather full at the ends. Not many are though.

5. genhocas

genhocas New Member

O was think to do something like that. I have a newbridge navigator bidge keel junk rig.
    Any advice.thanks