St George's One Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hamishincrieff, Jun 19, 2012.

1. hamishincrieff

hamishincrieff New Member

Hi all , Iv'e just inherited a St George's one design yacht in a bit of a state.I think it is similar to a dragon maybe slightly longer, I was wondering if anyone out there has something similar ?

2. ChrisThompson

ChrisThompson New Member

St George One Design

I used to own a St George One Design, No. 3, "Quiet Time"
    Late 80s I came across the owner of No. 4 who told me only 6 or 7 had ever been made.

Which boat No. do you have, or do you know the original name.

The designer was Roger de Quincy
    They were designed to rival the Dragon Class (hence the name). Very similar lines, slightly longer, and with a coach roof deck for 2/3 berth sitting head room accommodation for crew accommodation during Regattas.
    (I guess they never took hold with the extra weight and cramped accommodation).

Mine was built in Oulton Broad in 1947, of larch on Oak.
    The first owner had her built after returning from the War, and kept her in Cowes where he Raced her during the Late 40's & 50's.
    4 photos are available by boat name at Beken of Cowes during the 50s race season.
    There was class racing, and the records with results of the series available.
    If you know your original boat name you may find some records or photos if raced in the Solent.

I kept mine in Dartmouth, sailing the west country and several trips to the Channel Islands. Dartmouth to Alderney typically a 12Hr overnight passage with a good beam reach force 4-5.

A lovely boat sail particularly upwind, well balanced and light on the very short tiller. The second owner of mine took her across the Baltic to Helsinki and back.

I can put you in touch with 3rd owner of mine, who extensively refitted her and made a well needed strengthening modifications while the deck was off.

He is a retired boat builder / Naval Architect who knows what he's doing with Classic wooden Yachts. He sold me the Quiet Time as he was restoring a 50ft William Fife Ketch. Similar deck off strengthen restoration which mine had but on a bigger scale. He still owns and sails today.

Please feel free to drop me an e-mail if you'd like more information.

1 person likes this.
  3. oflandandsea

oflandandsea New Member

St.george One Design - Vigil

Hi, I have a S.G.O.D called vigil and lots of original plans if anyone would like any more information please get it touch
    cheers
    Paul
    Southampton

4. ChrisThompson

ChrisThompson New Member

Paul,
    Good to hear yours is still around. What condition is she in - are you still sailing her.
    Vigil was No. 5 by the way. (out of 6 that were built).
    My old boat was No. 3 Quiet time, and has just been sold although I see it has been renamed Amelia.
    Chris.

5. oflandandsea

oflandandsea New Member

Vigil

Hi Chris,
    Thank you so much replying to my post, Vigil undertook a major refit that involved a new planking to both sides after being hit by the sandbanks ferry ! ! !
    the original owner died about ten years ago and I got the boat about four years ago, it needs finishing off with a new deck and the fittings all put back on but I don't have the time at the moment and would be ideally suited to sell it or take on a half share ownership.
    do you have any decent pictures so I can see what they are like inside and out ? and do you know how much they are worth as I've been offered some various amounts but they don't seem to be advertised very often so I cant gauge their value.

I look forward to your reply

Paul

6. ChrisThompson

ChrisThompson New Member

7. Madeleine Green

Madeleine Green New Member

Hello, my name is Madeleine Green and my parents used to own Vigil in the 1950s and 60s, selling I believe around 1966. I have such happy memories of growing up sailing on her (I was born in 1954) off Bridlington in East Yorkshire. There were two other St George's that we raced against - Templar, which sank in a terrible gale, and Crusader. She was a fabulous boat and I would love to see her again one day. I live on the Isle of Wight. Where is Vigil moored now?

8. Hauke Eggert

Hauke Eggert New Member

Hi Paul,
    I'm a new owner of the same boat, hull 3 in fact, now called Amelia and indeed in Malta. Would be great if you still had those plans if you could send them to me.
    She's a little bit worse for ware at the moment but planning some TLC.

Regards,
    Hauke

9. Hauke Eggert

Hauke Eggert New Member

10. BNYA_Manager

BNYA_Manager BNYA

Hi there - excited to see you have a copy of the plans. Would love to reference them in the National Yachting Archive - would it be possible to digitise them? Many thanks, David

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.