Alinghi's Keel

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by PI Design, Apr 20, 2007.

1. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Does anyone have any details, news or thoughts on the keel that is apparently fitted to SUI 100 - the defenders America's Cup boat? I keep reading that somehow they have found a loophole allowing them to develop a sort of canting keel, but there seems to be no details anywhere.

So lets get the rumours going here!

2. nflutter

nflutter Junior Member

its all "alledged" at this point hey. anyway i heard they transfer the load of the keel strut through the windward side only, using metal rods. this stops it from bending so much or something. the idea is that they can get the leeward one on tight on one tack, then they tack over magically the keel is straight! i dont know if you can get much +ve bend like that you may be able to. sounds like a cool idea. though i could be completely wrong. thats how roumers are started.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

a very good place to keep an eye on all this is
    www.nzherald.co.nz
    they have an interest In NZ, Herald is the first newspaper, so go there, --sport yachting

4. yipster

yipster designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.