sail set up

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wardd, Sep 25, 2009.

1. wardd

wardd Senior Member

i just found the bolger as29 as39 and like the concept and the free standing rig but i wonder how it would do with a bermuda rig

for reefing i had an idea couldnt a rope be sewn into the sail with a loop or an attachment that could be secured at the mast end of the sail to the boom and pulled tight at the other end of the boom?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Considering you meager sailing skills, experience and expertise, I'd strongly recommend you concentrate on developing some personal likes and dislikes aboard actual sail craft, before contemplating redesigning rigs.

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

probably most of what i think of already exists

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I owned a 30 ft sloop with only 400 square feet of sail, about 40% was mainsail and the rest fortriangle. At 160 square feet, the main was hardly bigger than my current gaffer of 15 ft, which carries 155 sq ft on the main and another 30 sq ft of jib.
    The 30 footer was an IOR racer displacing 8000 lbs
    That particular boat was no problem to single-hand. I sail my small over-canvassed gaffer in all kinds of conditions and it keeps me busy, to be sure.
    Given the simplicity of a sloop rig, a lot of older IOR boats that are both light and have small mains would be ideal when set up with a roller-reefing 120% jib. However, a heavier 30 footer (of, say, 18,000 displacement and 900 sq ft of sail) would probably be easier to handle if set up as a ketch or even a schooner, possibly with two headsails.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I would recommend this as well. Some prefer certain rigs to others as you probably gathered by now, you may find that one sail type is to your liking - the only way to decide is to actually fiddle with them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.