Sail Loading on Rig, Rig Loading on Vessel

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by brian eiland, Oct 14, 2003.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

When I think back to my very old teachings of how this would be solved I seem to remember that we might remove the mainsail itself, and replace it with little shear force, tensile forces, and moment forces at each of its connections with the rig(ing).

Or is that just too 'old school'??

2. frers33

frers33 New Member

i am trying to figure out the chord and length of a straight daggerboard to reduce the leeway on 30-45ft displacement monohulls. i have already picked an asymmetrical foil based on Cl, Cd, Cm etc...

my question is how much of a horizontal lift force must a daggerboard generate to work against the leeway when going upwind? typical speeds of 6-8 knots.

100 lbs ?
    200 lbs ?
    300 lbs ?

thank you.

3. brian eiland

SMAR-azure, WOW

I have to start out offering a big apology to you Peter.
    I skipped over giving this posting of yours its due diligence,...and particularly as I read more about the SMAR-azure software. It really does appear to offer that 'plug into a big 3D model of all the rigging loads' I was looking for all these years.

I'm going to talk more about this very soon, and ask you some questions about SMAR-azure,...but first I thought I might briefly go back thru a couple of history marks that lead to this great new technology (I just want to confirm that I have some of this 'story' correct?)
    SMAR-azure

4. petereng

petereng Senior Member

Hi Brian - Its not new its just become more accessible. The first aero-elastic job I contracted to Norths was over 15 years ago. It was a mission back then because I had to get North engineers who could do the work in between their Americas Cup stints! but it was being done regularly. Now there are packages that are much more integrated and friendly for sail-makers and boat designers. Plus computers have become so fast it is possible to do this in a short time. In my structural work 10 years ago it was common for me to leave a computer to run overnight to figure something out. I'd check it at about 3am to see if it was on track or needed restarting. Now the same problems are solved in 30 mins! Regards Peter S

Skyak likes this.
  5. brian eiland

History

I first became acquainted with a genuine desire to do a 'computer mapping of the rigging loads' in a document prepared by Chris Mitchell as he had worked on such a subject for his masters degree in engr in NZ. Very likely that is what also got him involved withe some major international sailing events.

I think the document was published somewhere around 1993 (but authored around 1986)
    I find most of what he has written very interesting. So here is one of his early installments as a PDF document with some hi-lited portions that relate to the reasons I began this thread on the forum.

View attachment ChrisMitchell Structural Analysis of Yacht Rigs.pdf

Quite good for its time, but could be improved upon, but still it was pointed in the direction I was seeking...a force mapping of a sailing rig.

6. brian eiland

History

Then I ran across this FEA analysis paper...

View attachment Grabe_HP-Yacht_02(1).pdf

So by year 2002, marginally better, but still could see improvements.

7. brian eiland

When I look back I now remember that I only became computer literate in the year 2000 when I was trying to follow "THE RACE" around the world. And I only started this subject thread in 2003.

I was (and I think a lot of the sailing public) was totally unaware of these new computer methods of rigging analysis. Many of us were still (and still am) utilizing the old text books. All this America's Cup stuff was a big secret from us ordinary guys.

I wanted to know more about a big 3D model I could just plug different designs into, and be able to make changes too a few individual components, and see the effects on the rig as a whole. One of those items I wanted to look at was the 'aft jumper strut' on my aftmast rig and its interaction with the forward pair.

8. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

You should be able to get the righting moment of your boat for each 1 degree heel, RM1, from its rating certificate, or that of a sistership. You'll also need to know the heeling lever: VCE - VCLR (vertical center of effort minus vertical center of lateral resistance. You're looking for the height between the two, so if measuring from the waterline, express the second value as negative so you add them together.) You'll want to know (for wind speed x) the heel angle and the speed of the boat through the water. Transverse force = RM1 * angle of heel / heeling lever. This will be both the transverse force on the sail / rig, and the equal opposing force on the hull and appendages, including your daggerboard. If said daggerboard is vertical when the boat is upright (not canted), then no need to separate out the horizontal and vertical components, since they will be same for the board as for the rig. Where lifting line theory wants V^2, input and square the speed of the boat, and solve for area. For your foil, look for the angle of incidence where L/D is best, and use that lift coefficient.

9. brian eiland

Can one still go back and edit this subject thread? When I was recently vising it I noticed some images were missing (crossed out) ?

10. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

There is a 7-day edit window, but if you notice a link in one of your posts needs to be updated beyond this edit window, please click the "Report" link on the bottom of the post.
    For "Report Reason" enter something like "broken link abc - replace with correct link xyz." Thanks!

11. brian eiland

Thanks, I was always under the impression that the 'report button' was for other matters :oops::confused:

12. brian eiland

I recently made a reference back to a posting in this subject thread,...and then decided to read thru some more of it. I actually surprised myself with some of my own knowledge of the subject at those early times. I don't think I ever got all the answers to my basic questions the subject thread was asking, ...and I never got around to a modern day computer analysis,...shame.

I did notice a number of contributors were no longer involved with the forums,...shame also. I thought Petereng was providing some very interesting/informative replies, but now I see he has not been around since Jan 2018.

I'm glad the subject thread is still alive (at least posted), and hope someone picks up the baton.

Regards

13. patrik111

patrik111 Junior Member

Hello and sorry for reviving such an old thread,
    The references and the PDF's above are what is coming closest in allowing me to answer what forestay tension to aim for in a boat design..

I am looking at a multihull, with rotating mast, and have tried applying the GL calculations, but somewhere I get it wrong, as the tension I get to achieve the 1% proposed forestay sag is simply enormous.

Have any of the fine gentlemen and women perusing these forums put together a spreadsheet according to either the GL calculations, or the "French Mast" series of documents?

Kind regards
    Patrik

14. AJB

AJB Junior Member

Patrik
    Are you sure that 1% sag is realistic, particularly in a configuration with several forestays and shorter jib luffs as the TWS increases?

Two other thoughts:

1. Load is generally proportional to the span^2
    2. Typically in unreefed condition, around 40% of the headstay load derives from the mainsheet - i.e. the main leech catenary, more or less.

15. brian eiland

Wow!. I was just looking for this subject thread yesterday, and somehow did not find it. I'm making this postings so I will be able to return to the subject near future.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.