fishing sailboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by desertfish, Feb 12, 2023.

1. desertfish

desertfish Junior Member

are there any fishing sailboats out there. with an actual fish hold?

wanting a ~30' steel, flat deck, full keel, transom hung rudder. with a 1-2 ton fish hold.
    junk or gaff rig.

have a builder on email currently, curious to see what he comes back with

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Desertfish.

You could try looking through the FAO boat design database here -
    FAO Fisheries & Aquaculture https://www.fao.org/fishery/en/vesseldesign/search

I have have just had a quick scan through the list, and the boat in the link below seems to be the only one that comes close to your requirements (although it has an inboard rudder, rather than transom hung).
    FAO Fisheries & Aquaculture https://www.fao.org/fishery/en/vesseldesign/gam-75

But maybe some of the other wood or aluminium (or even ferrocement) designs could be adapted for steel construction?

Or you could maybe modify a Roberts PCF 40 design - but be wary about scaling it down.
    Boatplan Roberts PCF 40 https://www.bruceroberts.com/public/HTML/descriptions/PCF40_description.htm

Will Gilmore likes this.
  3. desertfish

desertfish Junior Member

interesting site, thanks

4. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

1-2 tons is not a whopper of a fish hold but depending on fish density can take up some space. What type of fishing and where is the fishing to be done. Fellows trolling and hook and line fishing have had some motorsailers over the years.

5. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

What is the projected area of use?I note that the OP is from Texas,where I believe it gets warm at times.Keeping a ton of fish fresh while sailing back to port on a windless day might be an interesting challenge.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

In the area where I live, with a long fishing tradition, the boats need a lot of power, firstly to carry as much cargo as possible and, secondly but very importantly, to be the first to arrive thanks to their greater speed. to port and achieve better prices in the fish market.
    Depending on the area and its customs, the sail as a propulsion system can be a clear handicap.

7. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

My father ran head boats out of Clearwater, FL. for many years. They went about 80 miles off shore, three to four hours out, three to four hours back, 6am to 5pm. Back in the day, they caught maybe an average of 2, 15 pounds fish per passenger x 50 passengers (a conservative guess from the 1960s). That's approximately 2 x 15 x 50 = 15 x 100, or fifteen hundred pounds of fish. The boats refueled every other day. I think I remember about 1000 gal. That's a large chunk of change to get out and back from the Middle Grounds for 3000 pounds of fish. I don't know if those numbers would hold today, but you could buy a new sail for you boat every week for less than that.

The fishbox was 8'x8'x4' and filled with chip ice. If you could fish commercially, you could conceivably fish at night and beat the power boats back in the morning the next day.

Maybe something with a center cockpit that can be converted.

8. Loren Couch

Loren Couch Junior Member

I was watching a show about bluefin tuna fishing they seem to just drift with live bait, but they waste so much money on gas. I think sailboats have huge potential for fishing but would need some.clever design work.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  9. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

Don't forget, sailboats also maintain an engine. They just don't always need to run them.

10. comfisherman

Having spent most of my adult life chasing fish (first full summer the year I turned 12, bought my first boat before 18) the only fisheries that are remotely viable for sail would be hook and line fishing. Basically trolling or jig fishing. The troll fisheries have had over the years several successful people with motor sailers, but were always very dependent on the skill of the owner.

jehardiman and bajansailor like this.
  11. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

To answer the OP, there will be slim pickings for you. By the time steel was cheaper then wood, sail wasn't a real option anymore, and ~30' was never a popular size for this material anyway. That beeing said, most stoutly buildt wooden boats can be redrawn for steel without much drama, so there are enough designs to choose from.
    Not that it's really necessary, there are enough old neglected yachts that fit the bill, all you have to do is convert the saloon into a fishhold.

Fishing boats are usually specific to an area and fishing method, look at what was traditionally used where you want to use it, and copy that.

bajansailor likes this.
  12. comfisherman

The specialization in boats is getting even more pronounced as the fleets worldwide consolidate.

13. desertfish

desertfish Junior Member

Trolling, rod and reel is the plan. 1 ton is roughly 1 cubic yard?, trying to picture that in the boat. Gulf coast, Texas, Forida, mackerel. The carib small boat has my interest

14. desertfish

desertfish Junior Member

This is an idea i've had for years, the older i get the more i want to do it. it will be completely at startup ground level. i've been out in a few boats, did a couple charters, even went out on a commercial boat for mackerel. very fun , very interesting. the fuel bill would be a killer for me, especially if you dont catch.

15. desertfish

desertfish Junior Member

I've just been looking for plans for quite some time, kind of surprised there is nothing like that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.