Carbon bowsprit kits

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Steve W, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Anyone know of a kit available which mounts the pole through the hull side like the Melges and J boats? There are lots of deck mounted kits out there but i have yet to locate one for internal mounting.
    Steve

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I have never seen one. But if your application is similar in size to the Rocket 22 I have noticed their pole assebly seems to be bolted to the hull. Maybe they would sell you the parts?

When I did mine I opted for the deck mount to my own design. Less water intrusion below.

Attached Files:

3. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Thanks Paul,that exactly what i am after except for a larger size to fit a 35 ft boat for a customer,we can of course do a custom job but i had heard that such a fitting was available as a kit but have been unable to locate one yet. On my sons boat we did an articulating sprit through the bow which is way cool but not really worth the effort,sometimes we tend to do things just because we can.
    Steve.

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I've never heard of kits for any size boat. It would be nice for retrofits. Please post info if you do find a kit package supplier.

5. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Will do.

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I would be suprised if it is possible to make something like this as a kit. Asymetrical poles induce tremedouse side and vertical loads on a boat, and need pretty serious engineering work to be installed as a modification, at least if you don't want to rip the bow off the boat in heavy air.

If you are seriously considering this, particularly if you are performing the work professionally I would retain an engineer to work out the loading first.

7. jeffsail

jeffsail New Member

did you ever find parts for your project??

I currently added a bowsprit to a c&c 110 at work and might be able to give a little advice

I have considered making some moulds for the side covers

Jeff

8. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

I built one into my boat. I can pick up the bow with it perhaps even shoot cannon balls. But being a multi hull I know that if / when I stick my bow in a wave or in the water I should keep the front of the boat where it belongs.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.