Sail Forces...need help.

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by alimert, Apr 6, 2008.

1. alimert

alimert New Member

hi friends.. i am a student at universty... at this term i got a project about sailboats... and i started... my problem is : i should calculate swing keel about my boat... i just know sail area = 600m2 , displacement : 160 tonne , wind speed : 22-25 knot and i also know position of wind effect center on sail...

how can i calculate lateral force ???

Lateral force * sin(x) * h = Displacement * GM * cos^2(x)

i found this equation for balance... i am not sure but x is an dellenbaugh angle... and i dont know how can i found :S ... i hope u can help me .. but pls write units (force(kN) or speed (knot or m/s) etc. ) i know h... h is distance from hiydrodynamics clr.

and also u can ask other parameters to calculate i can give if i have.. thanx a lot..

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Alimert
    The Dellenbaugh angle is the angle of heel when the sails experience 1lb per square foot of sail area taken transversely.
    So you have 600 (m^2) or 6.46E3 (ft^2) which is simply 6.46E3 lb force acting at the combined geometric centre of sail area. Or 28.73 kN your heeling moment is the distance COG to COA(sails) multiplied by the force above.

I hope this helps

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.