Paint and Putty - Please Help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by chris_crawford, May 5, 2003.

1. chris_crawford

chris_crawford New Member

Hello, I've been working on a small John Boat that I designed with the Hulls program, and I just realized that I may have a BIG problem on my hands.

When I bought my wood and started on the boat, I didn't pay much attention to the type of plywood I was using. I chose some Oak ply because it looked nice and was free from defects. I now realize that this is interior plywood, and I believe the center of it is actually some type of composite rather than solid wood.

Is there a type of paint that I can use which will protect and water proof the wood? Maybe an epoxy or fiberglass paint?

Also, what is a good filler to use to fill in places where I removed screws, screwed them in too deep, or didn't quite get the cuts in my wood to match up?

This is my first boat to build, and it's defiantly been a learning experience. Thank you for your help.

-chris crawford (chris_crawford@yahoo.com)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Chris,

Have you thought about covering the whole boat with a layer of fiberglass cloth (using epoxy) for durability and to waterproof?

3. chris_crawford

chris_crawford New Member

I have not thought about that. Where can I find more informatin about this method? Thanks -chris

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.