Sail Boat Plans

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mbrault, Dec 22, 2002.

1. mbrault

mbrault New Member

Looking for some boat plans with the following criterias:

Length: 42 feet
    Rig: Ketch / schooner
    Hull Potential max Speed: 12-15 kn
    Building material: Steel / alu
    Hull: Single or multiple chine, long keel

The boat will be used for long passage and cruise for 4 people. It would require to be oriented towards seeworthyness prior to speed performence. On baord motor of min 40 HP is required. Autonomy of 45 days would be a target as far as living aboard. I have alot of experience in woodworking / mechanics... but this will be our first experience in boatbuilding. I would prioritize simplicity and ease of integration over the inevitable "look" issue.

I am under the ipression that Steel would be a better choice for my project over alu. anyone had experience with both alu and steel boat? Pros and cons?

Would anyone have tips or suggestions please?

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Try Bruce Roberts. He advertises in many magazines. I don't know if he's got a website. His plans come with full size patterns and have first time builders in mind. They look pretty good too.

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

5. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

www.tedbrewer.com

www.dixdesign.com

Not sure you are going to get 12-15 knots out of a 42ft yacht though. Not unless its on a trailer or at 60 deg S.

You need a cat for that!

6. Paul Ex

Paul Ex New Member

Speed of your project boat

Hello!
    The 12 to 15 knots speed is only possible with a planing hull, build in very strict weight limits using carbon fibre etc.
    In a 42 ft cruising boat, 6 to 7 knots average speed is more the range to look at.
    But don't mind: sailing is great fun, at any speed, just stay dry and warm and well fed!
    Paul

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Martin: I would commend to you www.metalboatsociety.com concerning the aluminum/steel debate, as well as information on various designs that may suit your needs. I would suggest caution with respect to stock Roberts designs: numerous of his designs have suffered total failure of the skeg and consequent sinkings. Roberts suggests that his skegs are designed to be 'sacrificial' - a suicidal concept that masks a serious design flaw. Info. concerning the same can be found at the above mentioned site.
    Brad

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Denis Ganley has some nice ketch designs for steel. I'v seen his plans at fairmetalboats.com
    John M

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.