Sail area for cutter?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by hiracer, Jul 18, 2006.

1. hiracer

hiracer Senior Member

When a European broker lists a cutter with a certain sail area, does that sail area include the staysail? Does it include only the 100% headsail area (jib) or the sail area of whatever genoa is on the forestay?

I'm not familiar with European conventions.

Thanks.

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

If it's a broker, and there is no "qualifier" (to tell you what the area is) it is likely to be the full rig. See if you can get hold of a profile view with a sailplan, you should be able to scale dimensions and ares off that. They should also be able to provide you with sail areas for each sail (at least Genoa/Staysail/Main).

The other thing to do is have a look on the web, and try a few chat-rooms to see if anyone else has that boat (or knows someone who does (or has sailed one).

Cheers,

Tim B.

3. hiracer

hiracer Senior Member

Many thanks. Both the seller and broker know next to nothing about the boat, and there is nothing on the internet as it is custom.

I think I'm gonna have to measure E, P & I, J. Maybe the broker will do that for me and save me a trip.

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

If it's custom, can you find the NA who designed it?

Tim B.

5. hiracer

hiracer Senior Member

Sure, and he's been non-responsive to two emails thus far.:)

Broker is taking measurements tonight.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.