Safety Kite for Boats

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Kitesail, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Kitesail

Kitesail Junior Member

Consideration to Boaters worldwide:

I am in the process of going forward with others to manufacture a safety kite for the marine industry. As this progress moves forward any and all feedback, comments, and input would be greatly valued among the boating community. You can see early prototypes and view videos at my website www.kitecontrolsystems.com . Thank you all,

John Bellacera
    Aka Kitesail

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
    SafetyKite.jpg

KITEBOAT/SAFETY KITE
    The safety-kite concept is beneficial to the small boat industry. Mechanical problems are an ongoing issue with motorboats; and when a motor fails, flying a (safety kite sized at 220-330 sq.m) would aid the boat safely to shore. In some instances a safety craft or inflatable may be used in off-shore conditions where as a safety kite would aid efforts in search and rescue recovery.

The safety kite and bar would be stowed in a soft bag that is kept easily accessible. When needed, the skipper would pull the kite and bar out of the bag and attach two or three bridle attachments, pull out a release knob on the bar and launch the kite directly overhead. The kite would be neon in color as to be easily seen in an event of search and rescue. The eventual goal for the product would be to obtain Coast Guard approval.

REQUIRMENTS
    A steady 6-knot breeze to 35+knots offers a wide range of conditions worldwide, coastal to inland waterways.

OTHER APPLICATIONS
    These bars can be used for small boat recreation such as Kite Kayaking, Inflatable Crafts or inland Snowkiting, backcountry Kite-Skiing.

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I am interested in Idea. Can you tell me more?

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I think it's a good idea.
    Many years ago I ran out of diesel on a dismasted old sailboat, mabye 30 feet and five tons or so. We managed to sail away from some nasty rocks with a 10 feet inflatable dingy ("Tinker" I think) as a sail on the fore deck :)

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I like the idea as additional thrust for very long planned journeys crossing oceans. Something for larger slower ships to add 3-4 knots

5. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

220-330 square meter kite??? Are you MAAAAAAAD???? My 8-sq-m is all i can handle when the wind gets much more than 15kt!!

Also, I think Dave Culp has the patent on this as "kitetug." I might be wrong.

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'd use a helium balloon to hoist the leading

small kite into the higher, faster, winds-then use that kite to haul-up successively larger 'propulsion' kites.

I hear there is 'always' wind up higher.

In rough seas I'd feel better about being able to just cut one rope to a large kite than to recover a large sail on deck.

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

8. Kitesail

Kitesail Junior Member

Sorry, Eponodyne; forgot the "......'s" as in 2.20-4.40sq meters.

Patents and prior art are always subjective. I find this in the Kite industry as I've worked in it for awhile, though good to have.

many regards,
    John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.