Safety Considerations for Geriatric Boaters

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SAQuestor, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

My golly, haven't worn a boater since I left school...just after the dinosaurs made their exit.

But ALL of the advice above is sound. All I'd add is that on wet decks the old-fashioned 'rope-soled' shoes are hard to beat. But now probably just as hard to find.
    Seaboots may look deriguere ashore, rolling up the jetty, exciting gasps of awe from 'landies' and ladies in the bar...but at sea can prove deadly and the quickest way to reach the bottom once you're overboard. Whereas the rope-soles grip even on the wetest, smoothest surface. A small price to pay for strange growths developing between your toes....

1 person likes this.
  2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

The XTRA TUFF brand worn by Alaska fishermen, and most everyone up there, grip real good. Make cool sneakers when they wear, just cut them down. Use mine (cutdowns) as wade fishing shoes.

Tim

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont wear shoes, flip flops sometimes if im going out to dinner but around the boat never ever. I know ,-- different temperatures here.

Wet weather gear,, I use my birthday suit, its exellent for drying quickly in the sun and wont let water in, easy to clean.

Unlike a lot of Yachties round here I do wear shorts covering small parts that can get damaged. A sharp blow in this area can result in lack of interest in generall suroundings, let alone navigation. It can also render one incapable of speech exept in a very high pitched voice.

Im not sure why I am on this thread because I am not a geritaric not for a long time yet-- but, when I am I will buy a geriatric boat. Basically thats one with a larger crews quarters.

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Have put postage stamp in the mail, Frosty...So you can leave off your shorts....:)

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

An interesting thread, to which I'm a late starter - and at 40, probably not (quite) qualified to speak on.... But with both my parents into their 70's and both very active boaters, I'll give it a shot

1st up - Tom - you and my father would get on well comparing 'war' wounds... he just had the cataract in one eye zapped (and much better for it too), not much can be done to reverse the glaucoma, but at least it's onset has been slowed considerably. Angina, Quintuple bi-pass.... you get the gist.

Now, back to the thread topic.... all that has been mentioned so far is important from a safety aspect - and not just for older boaters. Safe movement, easy to read instruments, sensible attire are all things that should be considered both from a consumer's and designer's point of view.
    Looking at the glossy, highly curved deck areas of most modern boats - particularly trailer boats - send shivers down my (currently intact) spine. I have a scar up my forearm to prove their stupidity.

On the subject of seaboots, I will have to beg to differ to some extent with Bergalia. It's true that the cumbersome nature of boots will make them difficult to swim in, but the won't 'take to to the bottom' unless you fill them with something more dense than the water in which they are immersed. They will of course make for heavy feet when you (hopefully) emerge from the water, however.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Ah but I speak from experience Will, having been drowned numerous times whilst wearing seaboots.....

But I take your point. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Yes, a seaboot full of water makes it extremely hard to swim...and that was behind my comment about it being the quickest way to the bottom.

Oddly, I think I was, in fact, the only member of my crew who could swim. The others (almost a tradition) had either neglected or refused to learn, favouring a 'quick' drowning to a 'slow' death from exposure.

But I'll watch my phrasing in future.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

8. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Just a short note to Saquestor and Tom. I didn't mention the words work out, or physical stress.

I said exercise which I do in my own home gym.

Poida

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Numerous times, Frosty. Numerous times....:(

10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

A fool in a boat will soon be drowned because he will go out on the sea when he should stay in port. But I am not a fool and am drowned only now and again.:p

Poida

We were probably not thinking about your note when we got into the age thing. You may just have set us in motion.:D

11. Poida

Poida Senior Member

A mature man will not drown because they take precautions.
    A young man will drown because he thinks he's invincable.

Poida

12. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Although many experienced boaters frown upon the idea, I think thrusters are a big help to the elderly. Its true that boats can be handled safely without the use of thrusters but as reflexes dwindle, eye sights get narrower and first mates move slower with dock lines, thrusters can add the needed margins in many docking situations and put the fun into boating long after many older people would be forced to quit.

Boats can virtually be held steady at the dock and the gunnels brought in closer for folks who do not step as far, as fast or secure lines as quickly as they once did.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Nothing wrong with bow thrusters Pierre, I think they are great for anyone.

Its just that they foul, more electrics, big power electrics and maintenance.

Not necessary under 45 fooft

14. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

The only people who knock thrusters are those who don't have them.
    I'd disagree about their appropriateness (is that a word:confused: ) in vessels under 45 foot too. We have a 12 ton 36 foot 'trawler' (hate that word:mad: ). It's a damn-site more difficult to dock than our 48foot, thruster euipped boat.

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Lots of good suggestions here. For those of us wearing glasses, I suggest a second pair stored somewhere secure and dry but easy to get to.

Wide side decks and a foredeck hatch are a good idea for any boat, regardless of the age of the owner. Most of the suggestions here, in fact, are good common sense; ideal for boaters of any age.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.