Safety Considerations for Geriatric Boaters

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SAQuestor, Jul 24, 2007.

1. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

To answer your question, yes. I am getting closer to the point where I might be considered old. See my sig line as reference. But I haven't stopped dreaming completely as of yet. ;)

Regardless, my chronological age is going to be nearing 60 RSN. (Real Soon Now)

And trying to be a bit proactive before I fall and break my hip, what design features would you put into a 9 meter-ish power boat to help prevent accidents with folks that are a bit past the full summer of their lives?

I can think of plentiful hand holds for the helm area, galley and head. In the cockpit too.

How about an electric anchor windlass? Other winches for dinghy handling and MOB recovery?

You get the gist. What suggestions do you have that would enhance the safety of any design for older folks?

Best,

Leo

1 person likes this.
  2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Bigger brighter easier to read guages. Same goes for labels on breaker panels etc. Watch your feet. Look for stuff that can trip you up. Non-skid on any surface that'll get wet. Start up and shut down lists!! I'm not what you'd consider old (unless you talk to my 17 yr old) but I use them. Maybe a jackline and harnass when you have to go onto exposed decks to moor or anchor. That's about it for now.

1 person likes this.
  3. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Ditto on the guages. I took a tip from the nascar guys and rotated all my guages to where the indicator points straight up in normal running conditions. I can tell at a glance if anythings awry, and also installed a loud alarm. Am looking at upsized gps/depthfinders now, very pricey. My boat has headknockers and toestubbers, am installing pads overhead, taping bright orange borders on deck hazards. KnottyBuoyz your best bet would be to get that 17 year old interested in running the boat while you tend bar !

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I,m sure it could be had, but at what cost I do not know.
    My ides is a waterproof engine kill remote that could be clipped to ones body. This would prove especially valuable when out solo.

I'll second (or third) the safety harness and jacklines. Extra secure stanchions & lifelines also.

Putting on a float coat and/or foulweather gear somewhat sooner than when younger would be a good idea for both your state of mind and body's comfort & in case of going overboard. Good on-person signaling devices also because an older person's body usually will not survive as long in cool/cold water.

I'm in my mid-forties but almost always secure my waterproof hand-held VHF to my person when afloat.

Take care.

Tim

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Leo,

One thing I found while setting marks for a national regatta last week is that I could not read the small fonts on my Garmin 76 GPS. They were always difficult but this time, in bright sun but inside the boat, I just could not make them out. I could read the GPS compass and just estimated the mark spacing.

Back home I found that my left eye cataract has reached the point of no return. Will get a new eye and a color GPS with larger screen some time in the near future. Color makes a big difference in readability.

1 person likes this.
  6. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Use the three hand method.

Not being as old but getting there and having been in a car accident that weaken my legs, I have learn a few tricks on my boat. Always make sure you have either Two feet and one hand, or Two hands and one foot on something at all times. Failing is something for young people. Boat decks can be tricky when wet. And even inside can treacherous. Put grab handles everywhere. Be careful of shoes, my favorites shoes are deadly when wet.

Also consider upper body exercises, I am not kidding. Alot of moving around on a boat is your arms. Replace arm muscles with winches for ropes. I installed a little crane to bring items on board. I also install a overhead winch (200lb $49.95) in engine room to move thing around. Keep things light no need to strain caring heavy stuff around divide toolboxes etc...

Also get a good pair of Binoculars, sunglasses with prescription.
    Sometimes listening to vhf can be hard, they have amplified speakers.

I hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  7. Poida

Poida Senior Member

In my opinion mydauphin has hit the nail on the head. I'm over 60 and religiously exercise at least 3 times a week in a gym. I am as fit as I was at aged 30 and I don't need to make any special provisions for boating at all and I don't feel that I will need to for many years yet.

Eyes can be a problem and I haven't but I should do eye exercises, use multi-focals for long range vision and close vision ie. gauges. Also transitionals, darken in the sun.

Black and white GPS units are a joke. I bought one not knowing that you can't actually see them in the sun. However reducing the backlight as much as possible and the amount of information on the screen such as barametric lines helps you to see the track and boat position clearer. Or just use highway mode.

Got to go now, nurse is coming in with my medication.

Poida

8. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Those are some good thoughts from all.

I had to give up my favorite sailboat a couple years ago, a Grand Slam 7.9M. It was essentially a racing boat and I found that I could no longer safely handle it singlehanded. A heavy 600# daggerboard that had to be cranked up each time it was docked and too tender which called for sail changes too often. I now drive other peoples boat in races and sail my own smaller ones. The admiral insists on me taking a cell phone when I go out, life jacket and harness (most of the time), etc, etc. These are some of the reasons that I and many others gravitate to powerboats later on.

Visibility from a comfortable steering station is high on the list and not very good on some of the most popular small powerboats. High bow, high trim angle and too small windows are the main culprits.

It's worth your life to work on the foredeck of some of the current powerboats with a crowned and steeply sloping deck that can be a waterslide for the unwarry. I remember seeing one older lady crawling on her hands and knees in rain to clear a fouled power anchor. With better planning and design, that does not have to happen. Having to make one's way around a (wet) side deck can be minimized or eliminated by providing access for mooring and anchoring from inside the boat.

With high cockpit sides, providing with easy stepping access from a dock is necessary. I may be able to easily jump in to the cockpit from the deck but find that most of my passengers need the extra step that a stern seat provides. On larger powerboats, a gate in the stern works well.

Easy access from the water is also important and one area that I need to improve. I carry a ladder strapped to the trailer to provide access to the boat at launch ramps and on the road. It's amazing how often you need to get into the boat and we sometimes use it for sleeping at campsites on the road.

There are many other things that can be done to make boating safer for us seniors types but these quickly come to mind. Most are important in first choosing the boat for you. Some of these basic things are impossible to correct after you own the boat.

Getting old is easy, most of us pull that off without much effort, being old is what presents the problem.

9. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

Well, here's the deal on gyms. About 4 years ago I had what's known as a silent heart attack. Essentially that means none of the classic symptoms of chest pain or arm pain or... other stuff.

About that same time my job was RIF'd and I was out of work for 4 months. Found a temp job and worked that for 4 months before they hired me full time.

As soon as I had 100% medical benefits I went to the Doc. I had been complaining about overwhelming tiredness after what should have been 'normal' activities. Walking, grocery shopping, or even just being up and about.

The Doc did an EKG and found 'abnormalities'. Off to the cardiologist for a full gamut of tests. Less than 3 weeks after the initial finding I was in the Cardiac Care Unit and had a stent installed.

As you might know, when they're rooting around in the heart they shoot dye in so the docs can see what they are doing. Chatting with the cardiologist afterwards he suggested that about 20% of my heart muscle is no longer functioning. Scary.

The nurse scared me more with the statement that "you're always going to be a cardiac patient"

The point here? I strongly believe that the actual MI occurred while at the gym working out. I worked hard and sweated gallons to "be in shape".

Now, after having been in the CCU again about a year ago for another stent I am on a much more relaxed fitness regime. Vigorous walking and light weight work is it. Frankly, I'm too damn scared to do much more. Whether that is rational or not is not up for debate. Fears seldom obey rational guidelines.

Now, to add fuel to this fire, I saw this yesterday. The study suggests that excessive sugar intake is bad for one's cardiac health. And yes, Pepsi was one of my best friends for two decades before "the episode".

I still like the taste and now, I might drink a can once every two weeks. Heck'uva change from a three or four 6 packs a week.

Poida, I'm not disputing your assertion of good physical conditioning plays a major part in our individual ability to enjoy our chosen avocation, but I tell this tale for two reasons - as a cautionary note that working out isn't the end all be all for everyone - a classic case of YMMV - and to bring into focus to a wider audience that soda pop is not good for anyone's body regardless of age.

I'll end this by reinforcing Tom's comment with this thought; we can attempt to stem the tide of getting older, but the only thing that will actually stop it is our death. And I think that's what all of us want to delay for as long as possible.

That worthy goal stated, we all know that life is unpredictable. I'd have never thought that a guy (me) in reasonable physical health, no family history of heart issues, 6'1" tall and 180 pounds would have had a heart attack? Ancestors on both sides of the family live pretty healthy and active lives well into their 90's. And here I am with those sterling genes having a heart attack at age 53. Who'da thunk?

Life ain't fair and no matter how well we plan and prepare, stuff happens.

Be healthy and well,

Leo

10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Leo,

I hope we don't turn this into a "tell me your problems and I will tell you mine" kind of thread, but: Last year I was convinced to get a personal trainer for some sessions at our health club. Expensive, but Medicare helped. Near the end of one treadmill session I felt bad so quit and went home. A couple hours later I went into arrhythmia . Not unsual since I've had this problem for a long time and take daily meds for it.

Problem is, I just did not really get over this one and a few days later had a heart attack. Well, we thought it was a heart attack but after getting my first ride in a ambulance, it was diagnosed as angina. Much less a problem but after $12,000 plus, I now carry nitro around with me.

Yes, I am convinced that too much physical stress from the workouts was a major factor. To my knowledge, two people have died at our health club with heart attacks. Workouts and exercise are great but moderation is definitely in order. Just for the record, I am 75 but still feel great and am very active most of the time.

11. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

You're correct Tom, I too hope this doesn't degenerate into a "my owie is worse than your owie" conversation.

My point - and I hope yours too - was that we are all individuals and what's right for my situation may not be right for yours. Etcetera and etcetera.

But please, let's get back to boat features that make being aboard safer for those folks that are not as nimble as they once were.

Best,

Leo

12. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Another thing I make it a point to do when out on bigger water is to keep, along with my hand-held VHF, my GPS on my person. This way in a man-overboard situation, I not only can probably make radio contact with potential rescuers, but also give them precise coordinates.

Tim

13. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

One thing I will do, if at all possible is to have a self draining cockpit. I know there are varying opinions on this but this is mine. One well known and very popular small powerboat makes the bottom of the boat as the sole surface all the way through the cabin and cockpit. They depend on a bilge pump to keep the water out of the cabin. In addition to a safety issue, it is a mess after a rain since the bilge pump doesn't get it all out. It is called a good feature since you can tilt the boat up and hose it out. :rolleyes:

Windshields should be safety plate glass with Lexan a poor second and acrylic not a good substitute.

I am finally going to install a manual windshield wiper. Not a big deal in fresh water but salt water leaves a mess that can be hard to see through when there is enough spray to get up there. Paper charts and a compass should be aboard even though I may be getting as lazy as most in using the GPS. A tool box, spare prop, fuel filter, first aid kit and a couple flashlights plus a spot are good to have in addition to required CG equipment.

This list obviously referrs mostly to small cruising powerboats and I am preaching to the deacons and there is more but I am called to dinner.

14. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

West Marine offers two man overboard safety devices, $500-$700. They shut down the engines when the wearable sensor is submerged. A good idea in my opinion, as a boat could suffer serious damage steaming without a captain!

15. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

The captain in the water can suffer serious damage after watching his boat steam out of his life. :(

Tim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.